Is this bacteria growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
This is my second attempt at brewing and it looks like I might have contaminated my beer at some point of the process. This is day three after Pitching my yeast. I was placing removing the blowoff tube and placing an airlock on the carboy when I notice this. It looks like dust bunnies floating around in my beer. Is this cureable and what is it?

securedownload.jpg

Welcome to the board and Anthony is right, now both of you owe me some cigar city beers.. LOL

Don't worry about the stuff on bottom, that is normal

Thank the lord all mighty lol. I was starting to get scared, I worked on this one. So how should i procced for here? Thanks for the quick replys by the way. By far one of the fastest reponses I've had on any of the forums I've ever visited.

I recognize that fermentation pattern, the beer turned out great. Did you use a coagulant such as Irish Moss? I've found it causes the trub to be more clumpy during fermentation.

To proceed: Let fermentation finish and allow the yeast to cleanup after themselves...2 weeks or more. Everything will settle to the bottom and you can carefully rack the clear beer to keg or bottling bucket.

Yes I did use Irish Moss. The receipe that I was using called of it. I was told that I will help with chill haze and head retention. I will not be using a second fermenter will this be a problem.

Yes I did use Irish Moss. The receipe that I was using called of it. I was told that I will help with chill haze and head retention. I will not be using a second fermenter will this be a problem.

Yep, looks just like mine when I use Irish moss or whirlfoc.

No, no secondary required. Spend some time searching "Secondary fermentor". Tons of info. Many brewers don't use them at all except for aging or dryhopping/flavoring. One of those brewers would be me:)

Pez.

Welcome aboard!!

I have to say though, of the 1000 or so "is my beer ruined/infected?" threads this might be the weakest in a long time. That couldn't look more normal, especially with using Irish moss and 3 days post pitch. I'm taking a wild guess you haven't read through the stickies so have a look and relax, dont worry, have a homebrew:rockin:

You must admit if you see something like this floating in your beer without knowing what it is you would be alarmed too. Lol I tried searching before I posted but didn't have the patience to go through everything. I need to be reassured quickly that my beer was still healthy. Thanks for the advice very helpful. So since I will not be transferring to a secondary fermenter it will be ok to sit in there. I read some where that agitating it will make it dissolve back into the beer.

I'm still new, and just about every day no matter what I'm doing a thought flutters through my mind -- "oh my God I forgot to do x... what if this ruined my beer?" or "so-and-so said that doing y will result in y, thus giving you a lousy beer... did I do that?".

But I've learned to relax, to not worry, and to imagine how great those homebrews are going to be once they finish carbonating ;)

I'm still new, and just about every day no matter what I'm doing a thought flutters through my mind -- "oh my God I forgot to do x... what if this ruined my beer?" or "so-and-so said that doing y will result in y, thus giving you a lousy beer... did I do that?".

But I've learned to relax, to not worry, and to imagine how great those homebrews are going to be once they finish carbonating ;)

As long as pay attention to cleanliness/sanitation and fermentation temps, there really isn't too much to worry about.

It's O.K if your first few beers are not the best ever brewed in the history of brewing. Your beers WILL get better and more repeateable as your process and skills improve.

O.K., that being said, I kinda stressed over my first batch too......

Pez.

Back