Is this an infection ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Home_alone1

Reaction score
4A4E4231-81C2-4018-A57D-CABD98CAD31F.jpeg
I have my kolsch in the fermentation keezer and it tastes great , I added gelatin on Friday and now have bubbles on top, it’s at 32 degrees. Is this an infection or floating gelitan trapping co2 ? Here’s a pic

Doesn't look like an infection. There is a thread in Yeast and Fermentation with pictures of various infected beers.

It appears to be infected with some sort of Saccharomyces yeast, which is known to produce a toxin called ethanol.

For your safety I'd strongly warn not to drink it before driving or operating machinery.

The beer is still at 32 , after I added the gelatin i saw this around the top of thr beer hanging down , looks like gelatin that has been coagulated but not sure , I rocked the carboy slowly and some began to sink but some of it is just hanging out in suspension , has anyone seen gelatin do this before ?

When I added gelatin to my last batch I added it too gently I guess and it settled and gelled on top. I thought it was an infection but it was not, I ended up poking the top layer and it sank and cleared fine and tested good.

Back