Is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawgg

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first batch. (geordie lager)
It's been fermenting like crazy, the bubbles on the airlock has been going constantly, but this is good right?
Anyways, so this is the third/fourth day and it seems to have been calming down, atleast with the foam.
But when I took a look I noticed some wierd white "dots" and I'm worried this might be an infection. But I have no idea, ive never done this before.

So what do you guys think?
LOtS7EH
Oqk87LD

Also any tips or help would be much appreciated. :mug:

Picture mirror:
http://imgur.com/LOtS7EH
http://imgur.com/Oqk87LD

I am not sure what to think of that. I usually never take the lid off my primary for a minimum of 7 days. So, I'm not sure what those white dots are. My guess would be yeast cake that may not have fallen quite yet. I am curious to hear what other, more experienced, brewers will say.

Looks good to me. My guess is those dots are either break material or left-over krausen (the foam) that hasn't fallen yet.

Now keep it sealed for at least another week to let it finish fermenting.

Looks good to me. My guess is those dots are either break material or left-over krausen (the foam) that hasn't fallen yet.

Now keep it sealed for at least another week to let it finish fermenting.

This this this.

Looks fine! The krausen has already dropped. What remains of it is the crud ring above the beer line and some still floating on the surface. Sometimes it drops completely, sometimes it doesn't.

Looks fine. For future reference, if you want to know what an infection looks like, head over to the Wild Brewing forum and check out the "show us your pellicle" thread.

Yeah I think those are called yeast rafts. Just yeast that hasn't dropped yet or maybe never will. No biggie.

I have a few of those floating around in one of my LBK's that (hopefully) I will be putting to bottles tomorrow..Should be fine...Now place a 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign on your fermentor! :)

Latest posts

Back