Is this a lot of sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjewell

Reaction score
Check out this sediment. Is this ok?

DSC02070.JPG

DSC02072.JPG

This is an All Grain bock. My OG is 1.061 and wort was pass through fine mesh strainer. This is day 5 of fermentation. I plan on letting this sit in the primary for 14 days and a secondary for about 10ish to 14 days. Temperatures are around 65 and Klosch is the yeast of choice.

Also, check out this cool carboy sleeve. It was owned by my great grandpa.

DSC02073.JPG

Hey cool sleeve!

I would say that is a lot of sediment if the entire bottom was filled to that level, but it appears to me that its just chilling on the side. I think its just yeast. Mine looks the same, not as high, but it looks the same.

Don't worry.

That sleeve looks like a six gallon crock. My great aunt use to use them for making dill pickles. I also believe they my be collect-ables now. May even help keep fermenter cooler, it is stone like material? By the way did you pour everything from boil through strainer into bottle?

That sleeve looks like a six gallon crock. My great aunt use to use them for making dill pickles. I also believe they my be collect-ables now. May even help keep fermenter cooler, it is stone like material? By the way did you pour everything from boil through strainer into bottle?

Yeah, pickles. My mom told me he probably did the same thing. They are great collectibles. I hope I can find more. It is stone ware. And yes, it was strained well through a fine mesh strainer.

a lot of sediment no.... a lot of grain husks yes. or at least thats what it looks like to me.

It looks mostly like yeast to me. I see some expected normal amounts husks at the bottom but maybe your right it. It was filtered through a fine mash screen. Actually double filtered. So I am thinking its mostly yeast flocculation. Just wondering if its normal having this much...

Will this be a problem hanging out on the bottom for the primary? Many say no its not a problem, but I like to get everyone's opinion.

day 5! I would expect to see lots of fermentation action. Where is your yeast?

Yeah that's a lot of sediment but so what?

day 5! I would expect to see lots of fermentation action. Where is your yeast?

Yeah that's a lot of sediment but so what?

It was funny.... One day it was rolling the next it was all gone. No foam or anything. I think temperature has a lot to do with it. I am keeping it around 65ish or lower. The yeast is Klosch which is a middle of the ground yeast temperature wise. Colder than most ales and warmer than most lagers. These temps are perfectly fine for them because they can go to 55 no trouble.

I had a good rolling fermentation for 3 days and then just stopped. My gravity should be suspect? 1.061 OG ?

It was funny.... One day it was rolling the next it was all gone. No foam or anything. I think temperature has a lot to do with it. I am keeping it around 65ish or lower. The yeast is Klosch which is a middle of the ground yeast temperature wise. Colder than most ales and warmer than most lagers. These temps are perfectly fine for them because they can go to 55 no trouble.

I had a good rolling fermentation for 3 days and then just stopped. My gravity should be suspect? 1.061 OG ?

That's not exactly lager temps. 65 is not cold. I do most of my ales in the low to mid 60's

That's not exactly lager temps. 65 is not cold. I do most of my ales in the low to mid 60's

Well I know thats not cold. I was saying that I was trying to shoot for more colder ale temperatures. This yeast is Klosch and it can handle lower 60's well. It will brew like an ale but leave lager like qualities. So they say...

Has not really started back up. I assume that it is just chilling out right now. I will check my gravity and see whats up.

It looks mostly like yeast to me. I see some expected normal amounts husks at the bottom...

There shouldn't be any husks getting past the mash into your boil kettle. Boiling husks, or taking time much above 180, for an extended period can lead to astringency.

There shouldn't be any husks getting past the mash into your boil kettle. Boiling husks, or taking time much above 180, for an extended period can lead to astringency.

No. I did not take it above 170 during mash. I will try to filter it a little better. Its not like the whole bottom is husks. Its like a hand full of sand on the bottom of the fermenter. The rest looks like yeast.

what are you using in the mash tun a false bottom - manifold or a braid? You shouldn't be getting much if any husks into the fermentor. The sediment is fine for the age of the brew it will compact down as time goes by

what are you using in the mash tun a false bottom - manifold or a braid? You shouldn't be getting much if any husks into the fermentor. The sediment is fine for the age of the brew it will compact down as time goes by

No false bottom. Working on that. Any liquid was passed through a fine mesh filter colander to keep that stuff out. Obviously, you cannot catch everything. Its not giant pieces of husks. Its about as fine as play sand. Its a layer of speckled particles no thicker than 1/4 of a centimeter.

I had it milled and maybe the guy milled it a bit too fine.

Anyways, this picture is old. I racked out of this a few days ago.

Looks like just a lot of trub. Did you take a sample when you transfered out? What did it taste like?

Looks like just a lot of trub. Did you take a sample when you transfered out? What did it taste like?

I took a sample. Bitter. Not tannis. Just too many hops. My friend wanted a hoppier beer and we split the batch. Smells great. Just a little bitter for my tastes. I would beg to say its bitter as IPA. But not grassy. Just bitter from Alpha Acids.

I hope a few weeks of conditioning, carbonation, and the cold even out the flavor.

ON the crock,

Some of those are worth a boat load of money. Far to much for me to have laying around the house waiting for the market to drop out. You may want to take to someone who knows a lot about crocks and ask them what yours would "retail for", not "what would you give me for this". You may be pleasantly surprised. Some, but not all, go for outrageous sums. The same goes for old heavy cast iron skillets. It all depends on the mark.

ON the crock,

Some of those are worth a boat load of money. Far to much for me to have laying around the house waiting for the market to drop out. You may want to take to someone who knows a lot about crocks and ask them what yours would "retail for", not "what would you give me for this". You may be pleasantly surprised. Some, but not all, go for outrageous sums. The same goes for old heavy cast iron skillets. It all depends on the mark.

I will look into it. I got it from my uncle who deals with antiques. He was just going to sell it off. He is no armature. I assume its not worth too much because he gave it away to me.

It's worth a lot to me because its my Great Grandpa's.

Back