Is this a good find?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine that fridge has the original compressor. If it does the Freon probably has been changed from R12

I can't imagine that fridge has the original compressor. If it does the Freon probably has been changed from R12

Why would you say that? These systems were much more durable than auto and very rarely leak. When bought my house in 1990 there was a 35 year old refrigerator in the kitchen that worked like new. Was the kind you would push a button and you could turn the whole shelf like a lazy Susan. My Uncle still has a 50's vintage Pepsi bottle vending machine that was in his car dealership that still stays cold that has never recharged or repaired he bought it new.

R-12 is still used commercially but is very expensive like 700 $ for a 30lbs tank. All you need is a 608/609 certification which every HVAC/Auto dealer/body shop repair shop has. I purchase two 30lbs at like 40 bucks each before it was fazed out in the auto industry couple of my cars use it for the A/C and have only used maybe 5 lbs.

Why would you say that? These systems were much more durable than auto and very rarely leak. When bought my house in 1990 there was a 35 year old refrigerator in the kitchen that worked like new. Was the kind you would push a button and you could turn the whole shelf like a lazy Susan. My Uncle still has a 50's vintage Pepsi bottle vending machine that was in his car dealership that still stays cold that has never recharged or repaired he bought it new.

R-12 is still used commercially but is very expensive like 700 $ for a 30lbs tank. All you need is a 608/609 certification which every HVAC/Auto dealer/body shop repair shop has. I purchase two 30lbs at like 40 bucks each before it was fazed out in the auto industry couple of my cars use it for the A/C and have only used maybe 5 lbs.

No doubt by the looks of that thing it was built tuff. I had a fridge that was old but not that old go out because the lines rusted out.

I'd run it for a while to see how much it'll cost you. My dad had a freezer similar to that one and once it died, his electric bill dropped $40 the next month. Those older rigs draw some juice. Other than that, with a lil TLC that'll be sweet!

Do keep something in mind; this will not be used as a normal fridge if you keep kegs in it. Simply said, if it is a kegerator, you will seldom open the door=compressor not cycling so much=less energy used. Cold air "falls out" every time a fridge door is open, raising temps, then kicking the compressor on. I can have the lid open on my keezer for several minutes without the compressor kicking on; the cold air stays in the bottom as it should. Try that with a fridge! Just my .02

So many flamers... I have to find the thread, but I saw an orange painted fridge like this.. BEAUTIFUL (off to search... expect an edit)

<edit>
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/show-us-your-kegerator-29053/index49.html

newgraphic.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/old-kegerator-72348/

0115100104010116102008060126ac2b38d0330d7bcc002c49.jpg

Not the ones I was thinking of, but NO FLAMES and quite unique. I'm happy with my silver/black Sanyo conversion, but if I had that fridge.... so many ideas...

Reminded me that I needed to get some pics of the future kegerator that I got from my recently deceased grandmother....

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

Need a fresh coat of paint (spending hours on end at the auto body shop are going to go a long ways with this) and a temp controller and I will be done for now... The Fam isn't too excited about the idea of putting holes in a 'treasured family heirloom' :p

Door still seals like a submarine door and at the "warmest" setting, it is sitting in the 30*s.... Nothing like crash cooling a pumpkin ale...

Wow, I picked up a classic fridge that looks a good bit like that one, a little different on the inside. I painted it black with my room mate and ordered taps and stuff...it looks great! one of the taps was defective, so im waiting to get another one from the store and then ill be putting up pics!

Good score! (they look great in a glossy black, IMO)

alright, so I went home this weekend and checked out the kegerator, everything was going good until I decided to go to my LHBS and grab a used keg to size everything up, and this is what we ran into.....

DSC00790.jpg

sooo, I am wondering if I can alter this "freezer" thing???

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

it looks like the left side and bottom is the actual cooling unit and the right and middle can be cut off or something, but then again, I don't know much about refrigerators, so this is my update for now, hopefully I can figure something out, because I am kind of attached to this thing now:(

(ps, do you like that spider in the last pic? hahahaha)

on the positive side, this is my work in progress that I was working on before the other one fell into my lap, someone in the dorms was throwing it out because the door hinge on the bottom is faulty, so I brought it home, cleaned it up, painted the door with chalkboard (was that brushed steel look), and now I am just waiting for some money to order the parts

DSC00785.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

Back to the original posters last post...

I'm sure you can figure something out (necessity is the mother of invention). It's hard to tell in pictures; It looks like it's mostly mounted and fed at the top, but it looks like a secondary line going in on the left front and back? It looks like you could undo those screws on the side and eliminate the shelf bracket in the center, but I am concerned that is a freon in/out.

Is there enough clearance if you were able to gently bend the lower shelf flat? I had a dorm fridge that I had bent the cold plate for the freezer to the top (Friend uses this now with picnic taps). They're normally pretty darn mailable, but then again, that's probably American made back when they did it right. Might be a little harder to do...

Back