Is this a good brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidnos1

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the home brew thing and am looking to buy a brew pot.
I saw this one at target and the reason I like it is because of the spigot. Does this look like something that would do the trick or should I go with a stainless steel one? Thank you!
Camp Chef Hot Pot (20 Quart) : Target

I can't imagine it wouldn't work, unless there is something wrong with the enameled finish. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can weigh in on that factor.

But other than that it looks good, so long as you are doing extract batches.

Personally, I use a propane fryer with the kettle that came with it. A propane oven and a 7.5 gallon kettle for 80 bucks? I 'll take it!

IMO, for the same price I would buy at least a 10 gallon aluminum so you can do full boils if you so choose to do. If you buy a 5 gallon you will be restricted to partial boils and may eventually be looking to upgrade.

I would recommend going for the turkey fryer. My local sporting goods store sells the burner pot combo for 50. Add a 30 dollar propane tank and you're all set. After 3 indoor brews my wife has completely signed off on getting equipment to move outdoors or in the garage.

I bought a cheap 7.5 gallon aluminum pot with a lid for 30 bucks at the local asian market. They store smelled awful but they had a bunch of pots at great prices.

As others may have implied, 20 quarts isn't big enough for 5 gallon batches unless you are doing a partial boil and topping off the fermenter with water.

Other than that, the pot looks fine.

The specs are a little misleading. It has the lid and handles listed as stainless but nothing for the actual pot leading me to believe it's enameled plain steel. And why would you finish stainless with an enameled finish? You would have to be careful not to chip the enamel which will happen if you drop the lid or pot just right. For the same money I'd rather has this from Wal Mart:
0000000034874.jpg

It's 18/10 stainless which is better quality then most of your cheaper cookware. And the triply-clad bottom is awesome. I used to always burn stuff in my cheaper pots but not this one. You can also hit it with whatever you want to clean it. It'll handle caustics and abrasives just fine. I've got two and added a spigot to one of them. I've had the 22 quarts for over 5 years and bought a 12 quart pot earlier this year.

a very nice looking pot for partial boils.

for full 5-gallon boils, you need to start with 6.5 gallons of water, to account for the evaporation of a rolling boil. Add a bit so you're not right at the rim with that 6.5 and you're looking for at least an 8-gallon (32 qt) or larger. I use a 10 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches, and I really wouldn't want any smaller.

You might get some varying opinions on your question but that is not a longer term kettle. It's enamel and it will chip in time...if you baby it - it'll last a while but then again it may be a very thin layer of enamel and might not last long at all. I just went through this...too bad you didn't ask earlier...there are a lot of great deals out there with SS kettles. I know Adventures in Brewing had some specials and still are out there I think....Morebeer.com had some great specials on Friday. Amazon just had a Bayou Classic 36 qt SS fryer/steamer for like $55 - which is ridiculous! I just got a morebeer.com pot on Friday for $119. It's a 8 gal SS with tri-clad bottom and SS spigot. I toyed with buying aluminum but decided to go with a SS pot instead.

Good luck!

Back