Is there too much air at the top of my bottles, will this cause the wine to oxadise. What is the best solution to this ? thanks in advance.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whaley

Reaction score
IMG_2560.jpg

Are these in primary fermentation, still actively fermenting away? If so, you’re fine. Headspace doesn’t really matter during primary because so much carbon dioxide is produced that it pushes all the air out (CO2 is heavier than air). If this is secondary or conditioning (where no fermentation is going on), I’d be worried about all that headspace.

Are these in primary fermentation, still actively fermenting away? If so, you’re fine. Headspace doesn’t really matter during primary because so much carbon dioxide is produced that it pushes all the air out (CO2 is heavier than air). If this is secondary or conditioning (where no fermentation is going on), I’d be worried about all that headspace.

They are in the conditioning stage and have been like this for maybe 2weeks. I’m also worried about the headspace hence the original question . Do you think changing containers to minimise headspace would be better than filling up with water ( have read this can be done but I would think it compromises the wine) .

My advice would be to transfer them to smaller containers before you dilute them.

Back