Is there such thing as Munich DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
So I've been brewing a very nice extract pale ale as an every-day beer. It's coming out pretty good, but I've been thinking I'd like to have a bit more malt character to it. Was thinking some Munich might move things in the right direction. Since I'm not mashing this beer, the Munich would obviously have to come from extract.

I see that there are some options to buy Munich liquid extract. But I can't seem to find any DME, which I'd prefer for the shelf life.

Do y'all know if anyone sells such a product? Thanks.

Somebody makes Munich extract but I wouldn't bother. You can put some Munich malt with the crystal or whatever else you are steeping. Don't count on full conversion but it should be pretty close at 150ish for half an hour. A pound a crystal and a pound of Munich would be good in a pale ale. Just cut your extract amount some to keep your OG around 1.050. Software helps out a lot with these sorts of recipe adjustments.

I've never seen Munich DME, only LME at Northern Brewer. You can either use the LME or mash Munich malt in with your steeping grains. Both ways would work.

This is for a super quick-and-easy 15-minute boil brew. Mashing (mini-or otherwise) would definitely defeat the purpose. I'll either try picking up the liquid or just keep it simple. Thanks, I didn't think there was any DME, having found none, but I wanted to confirm.

Back