Is there enough room in a 1 gallon carboy for proper fermentation of a 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cttrible

Reaction score
Is there enough room in a 1 gallon carboy for proper fermentation of a 1 gallon batch?

Thanks!

Your going to need more headspace during fermentaion. That would probably be a good secondary but as a primary you'll need a 2 gallon carboy or small food grade bucket with lid and an airlock.

I have 2 1 gallon jugs and a 2 gallon bucket. Do you guys recommend secondary fermentation if I plan on doing multiple batches in the interest of efficiency?

I'd suggest buying more fermentors. Racking to secondary isn't necessary unless you're doing a fruit beer and only increases your risk of exposure to oxidation and infection.

I've made three 1-gal recipes using the 1-gal jugs from Northern Brewer and kits. I'm not an expert, but my experience has been that there is some loss of volume to blowoff (definitely need the blowoff tube for the first part of fermentation). I'm looking for a two-gallon bucket from the cafeteria at work to use as a fermenter to minimize losses.

That said, the beer was fine in the 1-gallon and no secondary required. I ended up with just over 9-12oz. bottles ave. from each.

Best wishes!

Yes. If you use a blowoff tube. The tip of the carboy and the additional space of the tube serve as plenty of space. Done it many times. But you *will* get blowoff.

I make one gallon test batches and I just throw a blow off tube on for the primary and then switch the tube for an airlock when it settles down, no need for the racking into a secondary :) and have had no issues yet

1 gallon carboys are fine...they are around 1.3 gallons. If you control your temps you will have no issues. I often ferment 1.15 gallons in them and the krausen never touches the blowoff tube. I've done 100+ one gallon batches and I do remember when I would have crazy blow offs before I did a better job of controlling temps.

1 gallon carboys are fine...they are around 1.3 gallons.

That's sort of what I thought but didn't want to say. I use Carlo Rossi wine bottles and apple juice bottles. They *say* they are 1 gallon and they come filled to the neck. But when I use my kitchen measuring cups and fill them a gallon and mark the water level off with a grease pencil, they only fill to about the trumpeting at the base of the neck. I can usually add extra cup and a half. It's inconcievable that in this age of 14 oz pint packages .875 lb pounds that there might but a 140 oz gallon, so I figured I must have made an error.

Back