Is there any way to "fix" low O.G. beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmpreiks

Reaction score
So I just brewed a really light ale last night and ended up having much lower efficiency with my BIAB setup than I have in the past. It was supposed to have an O.G. of 1.039 but I only got 1.033... so assuming it finishes out on target it will only be 3.4% ABV instead of 4.2% like it should be... :(

It is fermenting now, but was there anything I could have done to "fix" it once I saw that I had poor conversion efficiency? Is there anything that can still be done?

This is the first time I have come so far under... and of course it had to be on an already light beer!

In my experience, attempts to "fix" a mistake often create more problems than they solve. Besides, 6 gravity points isn't a big deal, so I'd just enjoy a 3.4% session beer.

I agree with leaving it be for most scenarios but fixing low OG is an easy fix with some DME or LME...and in some cases, some table sugar.
for you, probably a 1/3-1/2 lb of light DME or LME. boil, chill and add to fermenter

A bag of sugar should do the trick. I make no promises as to how it will taste when it's done.

That said, I'll say this. This time of year I aim for three-point-two brews. There is no reason to have BBQ tongs in one hand and a big beer in the other. Light summer sippers are the way to go. Drink all day without falling down. :mug:

Just leave it be and take note; you can fix your mistakes next time. There's nothing wrong with having a low ABV beer around, especially if it still tastes great. For my non-beer geek friends, they tend to truly enjoy beers like that. You could try to fix it and be successful, though you risk destroying a potentially nice session beer.

Imo I wouldn't go with the sugar for an already low OG beer as a fix. Table sugar is 100% fermentable, so even if you bump your OG you'll end up with a lower FG. More alcohol, and an even more thinner bodied beer than without the sugar, since alcohol is thinner than water.

You could boil up som DME/LME now and add it to the fermentor. DME is is most cases about 75% fermentable, so it's closer to a mash, than adding plain sugar.

But then you'll have the problem with extract that you'll likely end up with more body than you intended.
Honestly I would just call it My Tribute to Oklahoma Alcohol Laws and leave it be as long as it tastes how you wanted it.

But then you'll have the problem with extract that you'll likely end up with more body than you intended.
Honestly I would just call it My Tribute to Oklahoma Alcohol Laws and leave it be as long as it tastes how you wanted it.

Why is that?

And yes, I also second just letting it be. Low OG/session beers are nice :)

Thanks for the fast feedback everyone! I'll do as several of you suggested - just leave it be and drink more of them. :mug:

Thanks for the fast feedback everyone! I'll do as several of you suggested - just leave it be and drink more of them. :mug:

I'm a certified beer disposal professional if you are in need of a way to safely eliminate any or all of it. My services are free. Just send it to me and it is no longer your problem.

Why is that?

And yes, I also second just letting it be. Low OG/session beers are nice :)

Because in my experience it's hard to get extracts to ferment below 1.012, without adding sugar or something like that. He was shooting for 1.007. So adding some extract might end up making his FG go up a little as well, which will likely feel like more body.

The other problem with just trying to boost abv with either extract or sugar is the loss of the hops presence.

So really if you wanted to attempt to fix it (let's just say it ends up tasting bad), then you would basically need to make a stronger, yet smaller version of your beer and mix the two together.

Back