Is there a way to get cheap food grade, heat resistant pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I'd like to know if you guys know of any brands or places that ship internationally (to Europe to be specific) that sell pumps that dont cost a fortune and could be used in homebrewing for a small (about 300-pint system).

I need something that is heat resistant (can handle both the mash and boil temperature liquid) and is lined with food grade material.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I use one to recirculate water in my HLT and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for the info. That looks just fine what I need it for. I wanna pump 240 pints (120 Liters) of wort from the pot into the fermentor. It does 480L/hours.....unbelievable. It can be done in 15 mins or so.

The 8L/minute (480L/hour) is maximum if there is no head pressure. I would expect about 2-4 L/minute depending on what type and how much hose and fittings you have in your system. For a 120L system I would spring for something at least the size of a Chugger/March pump

The 8L/minute (480L/hour) is maximum if there is no head pressure. I would expect about 2-4 L/minute depending on what type and how much hose and fittings you have in your system. For a 120L system I would spring for something at least the size of a Chugger/March pump

I totally agree and I have also recently realized this. My system requirements are too big for such a small pump.

Thanks for the info.

You can get 24v versions of those pumps for about the same price. Better flow rate and head pressure but definitely still weaker than a March or Chugger.

Almost all washing machine pumps are magnetically driven, have Teflon or HDPE impellers and are rated for 120 deg C.

You're welcome :)

but are they food safe? They are usually drain pumps, right? I've seen them used in a few setups, but I've never taken one apart before.

I brew 10 gallon batches with the 24v 3gallon per minute versions of the ones linked above...I recirculate my mash through a rims tube with them and sparge as well as run wort through the plate chiller... they really do work great, I use cheap pwm speed controllers to control the pump speed with a knob since they are usually more flow than I need (besides recirculating through the rims) these arent really needed though.
The great thing is I have made over 40 brews with these and never a stuck sparge. it flows between 1.5 and 1.8 gallons per minute though the grainbed and back up to the top of the 16 gallon MT.

stainless camlock fittings will thread right on even though they are NPT...

Back