Is there a "reverse lookup" for [BJCP] beer styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
Like the title says; I've got a beer with various characteristics and I'm wondering what I should call it. In my perfect world, it'd be a "your beer fits this BJCP category"-type of thing.

By way of example: I've got a beer that is, in every way, a Pale American Ale, except that it's out-of-spec by being 75 IBU (style: 30-50). So my question is, what would I properly call it?

NOTE: I realize I can call it whatever I want. That's not my question. :)

NOTE: I realize I can scroll through the BJCP guidelines and try to find my beer. My question is if there's a way to look it up, as a time-saver.

Also, while I have this one example, I'm really looking for a general-purpose lookup, not the answer for this one beer.

Thanks!
~Ted

I don't think so, probably reading the style comparison would help. And you're right, if you're not entering it into competition, call it whatever you want! A pale, hoppy stout.

And you're right, if you're not entering it into competition, call it whatever you want!

Yeah, I know -- it's just a bit of OCD I have about wanting to Call Things By Their Correct Name.

Worst case, I can scroll through the style guide. I'm just being lazy/efficient. :)

You can call it an "Extra Bitter American Pale Ale" or "American Pale Ale: 75 IBU" or anything in that vein. It accurately describes your beer.

The (BJCP) style guide is just that, a guide. And quite restrictive at that, mainly meant for competitions, so an entry can be grouped with beers of the same style for judging while it gives the judges a reference on how to judge it.

Do you use any recipe software for your beer? I thought most would show range markers on a scale to show how your beer recipe fits compared to the type you select for it. A little hard to narrow down maybe since there are hundreds of variations of every style.

But it might give you some ideas what it might be close to. And how well it fits to the BJCP style guide I've no idea.

Do you use any recipe software for your beer? I thought most would show range markers on a scale to show how your beer recipe fits compared to the type you select for it.
This- on reading this, the first thing I thought was "Brewfather".

Write your recipe without setting a style guideline, and it will tell you which style it's closest to. Not perfect by any means (you might end up with some weird and esoteric styles being suggested) but still pretty decent.

This- on reading this, the first thing I thought was "Brewfather".

Write your recipe without setting a style guideline, and it will tell you which style it's closest to. Not perfect by any means (you might end up with some weird and esoteric styles being suggested) but still pretty decent.
The doc is right. I totally forgot about this. "Wort" also has that feature.

Any decent homebrewing software will give you possible styles for the recipe.

In this case, maybe consider whether it might be a 22B American Strong Ale. I don't have the recipe but it's just a thought, regarding a style that is barely known.

By way of example: I've got a beer that is, in every way, a Pale American Ale, except that it's out-of-spec by being 75 IBU (style: 30-50). So my question is, what would I properly call it?

If that is the only difference, then I would call it an American Pale Ale. Honestly, IBU calculators are just a swag. There is a good chance that the actual IBUs of the beer are in the style guideline range.

Does it taste 75 IBU? The statistics are numbers; it's the taste that counts. If I had a really aggressively hoppy American Pale Ale, I'd call it a Session IPA.

I typically use Brewer's Friend and it will generate a list of styles based on the blueprints of the recipe. It doesn't pick up regional differences of ingredients, like an American wheat vs weizen, but it helps me get close if I'm not sure what style would be appropriate

Brewer's Friend lists the possible matching beer styles at the bottom of your recipe.

If all it says is "Belgian Specialty Ale, Fruit Beer, Holiday/Winter Special Spiced Beer, Specialty Beer," you have created a monster.

Back