Is there a need for a brew shop in Western Mass, USA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnutting

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and noticed that the closest brewing supply store is in Northampton, MA. I live in Berkshire County and traveling an hour away for supplies is not exactly the easiest thing, especially with small kids to cart around.

So what I'm wondering is what kind of demand is there for a store in western Mass?

Just curious.

Well, it would absolutely rock, but I doubt there's enough demand. Have you been over to Hennessy in Troy? That's the one I frequent (I may head over this afternoon with my little girl in tow). It's probably about forty-five or fifty minutes for you, it takes me a bit more than an hour coming from Adams and driving through Pissfied. It's a great store.

the_bird said:
Well, it would absolutely rock, but I doubt there's enough demand. Have you been over to Hennessy in Troy? That's the one I frequent (I may head over this afternoon with my little girl in tow). It's probably about forty-five or fifty minutes for you, it takes me a bit more than an hour coming from Adams and driving through Pissfied. It's a great store.
Is that the name of the place "Hennessy"? I'm curious how many other people in the area are home brewers.

Well, Evanmars just moved to North Adams, 2nd Street Brewery is over in Castleton, NY (not far from Troy). There are some folks up in Vermont, and someone over in South Hadley. Not sure about the Pittsfield/North Adams area. Frankly, I doubt it's enough to support a good store, which I consider Hennessy to be. Real nice guy who runs it, inventory seems to turn over reasonably quickly, just a nice place to go.

Of course, if you head over to NoHo, you can always hit Table & Vine before leaving town...

glibbidy said:
Isn't Northampton in Western Mass? LOL!

Well, yeah, but that still covers a pretty large area. :drunk: I went to college in Great Barrington, Northampton was what...an hour away? Something like that, anyway.

I think most people in the state of MA would consider Worcester to be Western MA. NoHo's a haul from over here, it really sucks, since it's such a fun place to hang out. We used to go to NoHo or Amherst pretty much every weekend when we lived in Greenfield, but now I get over maybe once every couple months. I should head over this weekend, I need to hit a HBS anyway, and should hit up Table & Vine.

You could make a day of it in Northampton, go to the Amherst Brewing Co for lunch, let the misses window shop and you could head just a few blocks to the HBS. It is literally 2 blocks from the main drag in NOHO. Then on the way back you could drop her at Yankee Candle and go a few minutes up to BBC. See it's a thinking mans game my friends.:rockin: Bird if you are heading to the HBS in NOHO let me know about what time, I am thinking of heading in to pick up stuff for the Caramel Cream, I'd like to meet ya, and pick your brain. Send me a PM and I'll drop my cell number.
:mug:
Leo

I don't think it'll be this weekend, maybe next. I have to get some work done on the house on Saturday, then go into the office on Sunday (since I had to take this afternoon off to take care of Cassie). But yeah, probably the following weekend.

The one thing that pisses me off about the NoHo brew store; closed on Sundays, the day that when I go over the mountain, I usually go. :mad:

the_bird said:
I think most people in the state of MA would consider Worcester to be Western MA.
Worcesten can be a hike if you can piss off you back deck into the Atlantic!!!! ;)

You are right though, there's a lot more state out there than a lot of people think. I did some time at UMass Amherst and some time in the 'Woo so I've got to give props to my bruthas in Central and Western Mass. :rockin:

Don't feel bad though, most of the HBS out here are pretty damn sucky too. I recently bailed on my former LHBS (Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn) because they NEVER have a good selection of grain, they don't give all the info (specific hops varieties, malt info), they refuse to market PM kits, and they are realy a wine making shop in disguise. I've been going to Modern Homebrewing in Cambridge but something skeeves me out about the stoned-out dreadlock-sportin employees and the general shack-like nature of the place. I'm working a deal to get bulk goods from the owner of Cape Cod Beer......we'll see how that goes.

...Thread jack over! Carry on!!! :D

Modern Homebrew Emporium is run by the same guy who runs Hennessy, FWIW. He also owns West Boylston Homebrew Emporium in, you guessed it - West Boylston. Not sure how much time he spends at those stores, I'm pretty sure his son (who works at Hennessy) also works at the other two. Roger's a good guy, I'd try his shops and see how you like them.

Modern Homebrew is superior to Beer & Wine Hobby in every way. They have a huge selection of grains (I usually say that if they've got bulk amount of acid and honey malt, you're good to go!), a huge selection of water treatments and minerals, and a very good selection of hops and yeasties. They at least take a whack at kegging equipment with various clamps, barbs, valves, etc but I usually order that stuff online anyway. Last time I was there I noticed 50lb. grain bags too....very enticing.

I didn't want to sound like I was knocking the place (or sound anti-hippy :D ) but seriously, the dudes who work in there most of the time are soooo Cambridge stoner is is amazing. One of their guys the other day looked and smelled like he just jumped off a Bob Marley tour bus. I do, however, like the fact that they drop lots of Lebowski-like F-bombs. I didn't walk out of the store before at least 4-5 "F*cking A, man"s were exchanged. I also slipped in a "Far f*cking out, man" just to see if he was paying attention. He wasn't. :D

I am opening this thread again after searching for Great Barrington. i grew up in Sheffield and went home for the weekend. I was able to get to the Barrington Brewery. I sampled several different brews and was very pleased. Worth the trip, I'll tell you. There is a lot to do in southern Berkshires for the SWMBO.....

The guys in Buffalo here said how was Boston, did you get to see Fenway? I get really tired of telling people how my mom and dad are (unfortunately) closer to NYCity than B-town. Yeah, I saw Fenway this weekend, on channel 38!! GO SOX.

Yeah, overall I've been pleased with Barrington Brewery--their brown ale is fantastic. Sometimes the service is crappy, they have one nasty waitress who sometimes will give you a hard time. But it's a great brewpub, I love it.

Glibbidy said:
That's funny I've always considered Worcester the armpit of Mass.:p

I always thought RI was the armpit of Mass.

Actualy I've been hanging out there more than MA since I found the best brew shop ever.

I know it would be a ride for you guys arround Boston (excruciatingly long depending on the time of day), but Blackstone Valley Home Brew Supply in Wooooonsocket, RI is the best I've found so far.

Back