Is the inside of this Keg ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Check out the inside of this corny keg
keg_inside.JPG

I soaked this with hot oxyclean for about three hours this morning, and then tried to scrub it with a carboy brush. My arm can't fit to feel it, and I don't know if it is rust. Would you use it? I got it about 2 weeks ago, and this is the first time I opened it.
What do you think?
Thanks.

You might need to be able to reach down there to scrub it... I guess I'm lucky I can fit my arm in just enough to make it to the bottom with a wash cloth.

A toilet brush or other long handled brush (they sell them at hardware stores usually) would work for that too. Just make sure that is all you us it for. :p

I've seen that in one of my kegs. I soaked in hot oxi overnight and it was still there. I had to scrub with scotchbrite pad to remove it. It's a hard, sticky lump (TWSS!)

I'd soak overnight and see what happens. You may not have to scrub too much if you are lucky.

If all else fails go to HD or Lowes, Get some muratic acid. Very dangerous $hit, but it will dissolve anything. (concentrated hydrochloric acid). Do not use this stuff inside, get a gas mask from HD or Lowes while you are there. Do not leave it in the Keg for more than a few minutes. it will etch and pit SS. I use it when all else fails.
Also, if that stuff is on the bottom, could it be in your dip tube as well? You can dilute what you put in the bottom and push it out the "out" port.
Did I mention this is DANGEROUS! Be careful!

Thanks for all the replies! After another hour soak with a strong concentrated hot water oxy soak, it was still there. I scrubbed the hell out of it again with the carboy brush too. I went downstairs and got a paint stick and a clean rag and tried that to no sucsess.
I ended up putting in 1 oz star san with about a half gallon of water. soaked it for half hour hit it with the carboy brush and it was perfect! I rinsed it out real good, re-sanitized and kegged my Blonde.
Didn't take a new pic because I just wanted to get it done.
Thanks again for all replies!

buy some Bar Keepers Friend Liquid multipurpose cleaner from ebay....it should take those marks out...i use it on all my Stainless steel marks

Back