Is the concrete floor enough to lower ferm temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Dude41

Chaos coordinator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My small freezer that was my ferm chamber died. I have a spot in my unfinished workroom in the basement that i could frame out and insulate. i am wondering if the cement and cinder block wall are enough cool enough lower an active fermentation?
As a test, 6 gal of warm (94f) water was loaded into a fermenter, placed on the cement floor, and very loosely boxed by insulation. Slightly under 24 hrs later it is 53° (room temp is mid 60's). Is sitting on floor alone going to dissipate enough heat to control an active fermentation, through the entire fermenter?
If so, plan is to build a insulated chamber, and move the controller/heating element.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
My small freezer that was my ferm chamber died. I have a spot in my unfinished workroom in the basement that i could frame out and insulate. i am wondering if the cement and cinder block wall are enough cool enough lower an active fermentation?
As a test, 6 gal of warm (94f) water was loaded into a fermenter, placed on the cement floor, and very loosely boxed by insulation. Slightly under 24 hrs later it is 53° (room temp is mid 60's). Is sitting on floor alone going to dissipate enough heat to control an active fermentation, through the entire fermenter?
If so, plan is to build a insulated chamber, and move the controller/heating element.
Thoughts?

Set it up on something like wood to get it off the floor.

That depends on what temp you're trying to keep it at most likely. But even in my basement which is...kind of finished (linoleum tile over what is likely concrete) being on the floor in the fall and winter keeps temps down pretty well.

I always put a towel under my carboys when fermenting. Partially because wood/concrete floors can be a little cooler than ambient temperature, and partially because glass carboy on towel makes me a lot less nervous than glass carboy on hardwood/cement.

It also depends on ground temp. Depending on your area, soil composition, blah, blah, blah, that could vary by 15 degrees or more from season to season. Or not at all.

Back