Is the Beer Safe? PBW Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebabon

Reaction score
Just did a batch of pumpkin beer. Buddy forgot to rinse the PBW out of the primary fermenter and then put all wort into that fermenter...

Is that batch of beer drinkable? Should we just throw it out? Will I grow a third eye (we did use Ohio River water after all)?

Thanks.
Not Sure What To Do

Just did a batch of pumpkin beer. Buddy forgot to rinse the PBW out of the primary fermenter and then put all wort into that fermenter...

Is that batch of beer drinkable? Should we just throw it out? Will I grow a third eye (we did use Ohio River water after all)?

Thanks.
Not Sure What To Do

I HATE to see fementation effort go to waste!
My advice (worth absolutely NOTHING!!).....go ahead and drink it (if you can stomach it!) I hear they're redoing the cyclops movie series: three eyes should be just as impressive as one big one!!

Good luck,
Mike.

Now, seriously, I think I must have had a little bleach contamination in my equipment for a beer kit I just made up. It's been in the secondary for about a week.....and tasting a little "sour". My plan is to drink it (not offer it to company) and hope for the best.

Anybody got any tips about how to TOTALLY remove bleach from carboys and siphons? Thanks.

Let it ferment...

The issue that I see is that your primary was not sanitized. That is probably more of an issue than what the trace PBW may contain.

Did you leave any in there, or just forget to rinse? If you made the PBW solution to the right concentration and just forgot to rinse, my understanding is that you shouldnt have any problems; I know Ive done it... Ive had it sucked through the airlock before with no noticeable detrimental effects.

If you left several oz or gallons of PBW in the fermenter.. well, that I havent done.

Did you leave any in there, or just forget to rinse? If you made the PBW solution to the right concentration and just forgot to rinse, my understanding is that you shouldnt have any problems; I know Ive done it... Ive had it sucked through the airlock before with no noticeable detrimental effects.

If you left several oz or gallons of PBW in the fermenter.. well, that I havent done.

You put PBW in your airlocks?

Well, I used to use sanitizer water (and I used PBW or other sodium percarbonate/gluconate chem to clean/sanitize) in my airlocks, but that was about a year ago.. now I clean with sodium percarbonate type products, sanitize with StarSan and always use blowoff tubes.:D

From 5-Star:

"When using P.B.W. in food processing areas the equipment that has been cleaned must be rinsed with potable water. Just prior to use, sanitize the equipment in accordance with public health standards.

SAFETY
DANGER: Can be harmful if swallowed. Can cause eye irritation. Contains sodium metasilicate and sodium carbonate.

FIRST AID: For contact with skin and eyes, flush thoroughly with cool running water. For eyes, flush for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Drink large amounts of milk or water. Call a physician."

Now, I'm sure this warning is for PBW directly injested as opposed to trace amounts remaining on un-rinsed equipment. But I'd still exercise caution about encouraging someone to "try it and see how it tastes." There's probably a reason it's not marketed as a "no-rinse" cleaner. Personally, if I had any doubts I'd just dump it. Who knows whether a harmful amount would sufficiently alter the taste that much.

Just my opinion.

Well, if there was an ounce still in there or so...

It sayes to drink large amounts of milk or water... what about beer? I wonder if 5 gallons of beer is sufficient to dilute the already diluted PBW. I mean beer is mainly water... and 5 gallons is a lot.

Slap your friend.

Back