is PBW safe for SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ourgot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to clean out my kegerator with PBW is it safe to use? Can I just leave it in there for extended periods of time? They don't have an ingredient list on the label.

you can use PBW on pretty much anything. We throw it in the dishwasher from time to time. Use it on pots that have stuff that was caked on. Use it on all my kegs. It's safe for stainless.

I think it is sodium metasilicate, sodium carbonate, and sodium percarbonate. One ingredient that isn't listed but I *suspect* is in there - Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid / EDTA.
Sodium metasilicate, and PWB will etch glass if left in for too long (such as a few days in the sun). I have a couple of carboys ruined by it.

You must rinse PBW, it is a cleaner. Star San is formulated to be no-rinse.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't confuse sanitizer with cleaner. They are two different things serving two different purposes.

Star San is a sanitizer. Using it for cleaning is analogous to washing your car with Windex. It may work but that's not what it's designed for.

You must rinse PBW, it is a cleaner. Star San is formulated to be no-rinse.

Don't confuse sanitizer with cleaner. They are two different things serving two different purposes.

Star San is a sanitizer. Using it for cleaning is analogous to washing your car with Windex. It may work but that's not what it's designed for.

Yes, I understand the difference. Posting on my mobile clearly decreases my desire to articulate when typing. I was merely pointing out that PBW requires rinsing and star San doesn't because of the way they were formulated. One is a cleaner and needs to be rinsed and the other is a sanitizer that does not need to be rinsed.

WOW, I just pulled both products out and looked at the labels. PBW states, "Rinse Immediately". Star San states, "Do not rinse". Seems pretty simple to me. Where is all the confusion coming from. :drunk:

I scrub my SS BK with PBw & rinse well afterward. Dry with a towel & stash it under the fermenter stand with the lid on. Still shiny as new inside.

WOW, I just pulled both products out and looked at the labels. PBW states, "Rinse Immediately". Star San states, "Do not rinse". Seems pretty simple to me. Where is all the confusion coming from. :drunk:

My PBW came in a bag from some guy on the street and doesn't have a label. Some of your responses are helpful but some of your posts make me feel like an idiot and I shouldn't ask questions, which is the reason for this forum sharing information.

Slow down boys and girls... we were all newbies at some point... chill out... it's just PBW... no one's going to die here...

And yes, to the original posters comment, you can use PBW (which is amazing btw) but rinse that **** out. There are plenty of threads on here you can research the how to use PBW. HINT: you don't always need as much as they recommend on the label. :tank:

Latest posts

Back