Is oxyclean ok to use on my propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crlova2

Reaction score
My propane burner doesn't have the flame it used to so I was thinking about taking the actual burner off the stand and putting it in oxyclean to clean out the holes and insides? I guess I would put it in the oven to dry it out after. Is this is bad idea?

My propane burner doesn't have the flame it used to so I was thinking about taking the actual burner off the stand and putting it in oxyclean to clean out the holes and insides? I guess I would put it in the oven to dry it out after. Is this is bad idea?

Hmmm. Sounds like a good idea. Depending on the burner, you could dissamble as far as you are comfortable and give it a good soak. I don't think the oven would even be necessary. I've removed mine and spayed-out with a garden hose and then air-dried. Worked fine.

Yeah I thought of the air compressor thing I just don't know anyone with one. I live in a college town so most of my neighbors don't really have any tools (other than themselves) much less an air compressor.

I understand the blowing air will work but my question is geared more towards whether or not I can use oxyclean without damaging equipment. I am not necessarily asking whether I should use air or not or which is better. I think there is a lot of gunk in a couple of holes of the burner from boil overs and I don't think air from an aerosol can is going to blow out caked on carmelized/burnt sugar residue.

Oxiclean or any other degreaser should work fine on a standard cast burner. I just wouldn't let it soak for days, popping it in the oven afterward as you stated above will be just fine.

How about using some sort of poker to clean out the holes in the burner? Like a drill bit.

I've soaked my burners in hot Oxyclean more than a few times. No discernible problems at all. No rust or other corrosion was visible after an overnight soak. I rinsed the burners well after the soak and blew them dry with compressed air. I've used drill bits to clean out the gas ports on occasion and it worked very well.

Latest posts

Back