Is my smack pack a dud?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stovepipe

Reaction score
Hey, Folks:

Well, I just got the stuff to brew again: I'm on the trail of The Perfect Porter, and getting closer each time.

This time I wanted to try Wyeast 1469, the West Yorkshire yeast, but for some reason Midwest sent me 1450, Denny's Favorite--seems like a pretty staright substitution, right?

The issue is that the smack pack arrived, not fully turgid, but pretty damn swollen. I felt around and the internal pouch had not burst. No, to be fair, I did not order the cooling pack that Midwest recommends, and totally accept that it's my fault, by my question is, should I use this yeast, or get another? The yeast has been in the fridge, and the swelling has gone down, but the smack pack still looks fairly bloated.

You won't know how viable it is till you get it out of that pack. I would go ahead an pop the nutrient pouch and make a starter with it to see if there are enough live yeasties. Given how hot its been lately it might need some time before its ready

Then again, they sent you the wrong pack so you should email them. Maybe they'll send you a free pack

It just may be the problem I had with Wyeast American Ale. In a big order the package came fully swollen but the smack pack was unbroken. I talked to the reps at Northern Brewer and apparently that yeast retains co2 well and releases it at higher temps. They were wonderful and sent me a second one just be be safe. Well both the first and the second have successfully fermented without any kind of starter.

I work at a homebrew shop that sells wyeast and the 1450 is notorious for swelling during shipping, it should be fine.

Edited for horrible spelling.

Yeah, I always make a starter. I guess I was worried that the nutrient in the smack pack could itself start to ferment? Or something....

Anyway, thanks folks. The Denny's Favorite seems to have a flavor profile pretty close to the West Yorkshire, and so, maybe this time, the Perfect Porter will happen....

The Denny's favorite is good yeast, it should make you a very nice porter. And it is similar, but not exactly like the West Yorkshire. I'd brew with it, but I'd also let Midwest know of the error, you'll probably get a free pack of 1469. I'd recommend calling and not emailing with the problem, tell 'em they sent you the wrong yeast and I'm sure they'll correct the issue.

Will do. I don't have a LBS, and have been ordering from Midwest for 6 or 7 years, and they've ALWAYS done right by me.

Will do. I don't have a LBS, and have been ordering from Midwest for 6 or 7 years, and they've ALWAYS done right by me.

They're good people. The girl in charge of the mail order has always been very helpful; I had to speak with her (in store) the other day because of an issue with my Ale of the Month kit not shipping out, no questions, I walked out with a new kit and a fresh vial of yeast. There's also a couple of really knowledgable brewers who work there, who are always willing to help with technical questions. :mug:

Had the same prob with wyeast 1056... it seems the smack packs are problematic when it comes to this. The yeast should be viable just make a starter to be sure.

Back