is my pot savable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
i brewed my 3rd extract kit on my electric stove and i burned the botton of my 20 quart stainless steel pot....i used a razor knife to get the black crap off...is the pot ruined?

Are you saying that you burned extract to the bottom inside of the pot?

If so it should be nothing that some elbow grease, oxy clean, and a green scrubby pad couldn't handle.

Simmer the pot on the stove with some PBW for a few hours. And next time take the pot off the stove when adding fermentables, and add them slowly.

i may have jumped the gun(and didnt think) and used a razor knife to clean it....thought it would be easy and it worked but now after thinking about it later can that cause any funny taste to the wort in my next batches due to scratches in the pot bottom

I think your asking if any creepy crawlies could move in to the small scratches on your pot and cause an infection? I doubt this would be a problem due to the fact that the heat during the boil will kill any nasties living in the crevasses.

If its truly stainless and your really worried about it some wet sanding with 800 grit sandpaper could polish out the scratches

Back