Is my mead infected or just fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadMachine

Reaction score
I just need to know if this is normal or an infection. This is my first batch of mead, wild ferment. Thanks!

20220406_123727.jpg

It's fermenting!

Now the difference between wild fermentation and infection can be subtle...

Cover and let it be until it's finished. The yeast "knows" what to do. Poking around in it is not going to help make it better, while you may introduce an unintended infection. ;)

BTW, your mead looks wonderful and yummy!

It's fermenting!

Now the difference between wild fermentation and infection can be subtle...

Cover and let it be until it's finished. The yeast "knows" what to do. Poking around in it is not going to help make it better, while you may introduce an unintended infection. ;)

BTW, your mead looks wonderful and yummy!
Oh that's good to hear! So I shouldn't stir it at all?
And thank you, I used amber wildflower honey.

Oh that's good to hear! So I shouldn't stir it at all?
And thank you, I used amber wildflower honey.
Nope, no need to stir. The fermentation itself will keep it mixed.

This looks very inviting!
Any clue what kind of yeast you got in there? Was it a "wild" culture?

Nope, no need to stir. The fermentation itself will keep it mixed.

This looks very inviting!
Any clue what kind of yeast you got in there? Was it a "wild" culture?
The yeast came from the honey mostly. I did 3lb honey to 1gallon water, 8 raisins and some lemon squeezes. That sat for over a week and nothing happened, so I put two tablspoons of honey into half a liter of water and that began bubbling nicely after a few days. I then added that into the musk which seems to have worked well! I did have some apple slices in there for a couple days trying to get some yeast in, but I think most of the yeast just came from the honey.

Yeah that's looking good to me. Set it and forget it and watch the fermentation process!
How long should I let it ferment in the open container before racking? It's been just over a week and I got a bit of surface mold growth today which I had to scoop off.

You should have it fermenting in a sealed container, not an open container unless I'm misunderstanding? I know nothing about 'wild fermentation' so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask :)

You should have it fermenting in a sealed container, not an open container unless I'm misunderstanding? I know nothing about 'wild fermentation' so maybe I'm the wrong guy to ask :)
Primary fermentation happens in contact with the air, secondary fermentation happens in a sealed container with an airlock. Just not sure how long I should let the primary fermentation go.

Back