Is my fermenter too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I typically use 5G buckets that can only yield around 4G after all is said and done. I was wondering if a fermenter can be too big. I have access to some sweet 30G open head drums that I want to do some 10G batches in. I'd fill it with about 11G of wort and install a spigot near to bottom. Anyway, can that much headspace be bad? It has an airtight lid and I'd just drill out a hole for a bung and airlock. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416599647.924139.jpg

I'd hesitate to use any old plastic barrel. Check the type of plastic. Beyond that manufacturers might use colorants that are not food safe, or release agents that are not food safe, or the previous contents might not be food safe.

If you can get them cheap, you might consider lining them with a very large, food grade plastic bag. I've lined my fermentor buckets with plastic bags before just to save cleanup time.

A bag would exclude the possibility of a spigot unless you run the spigot through the bag as well.

Headspace is not generally a problem for primary fermentors as you really want MORE oxygen at the start and the yeast will consume what's in the wort and push any O2 out of the headspace. You will have to consider your secondary needs IF you use a secondary.

And think about temp control. Temp swings can affect the final beer, and a larger fermentor will heat up more due to thermal mass.

Do you know what product came in them?

I have a couple of 66 gallon ones, ( that I've not used yet), that held pickles.
A fairly acidic cargo, but they have a white lining, inside of a black barrel.

Activated Charcoal is no problem. And if they were for water filtration you might take the conclusion jump that they are also food grade.

I'd probably use them, but I'd for sure try to find out who the charcoal company is and see if they can get you a supplier name for the barrel and double check the food grade.

I know they were for water filtration so yes that is why I'd assume they're safe. But as far as verifying with the manufacturer...I visited the site and unless you can read Japanese you can't get any info worth a damn. I forget the name/site now. I'll post when I get home. Not like it'll help anyway.

For what' it's worth I've heard of a lot of folks using them as boil kettles and mash tuns as well. Bet it would make a dandy fermenter.

Google translate is your friend...it is amazing what you can translate on there. I have uploaded full PDF documents and it translated it to another document.

Product name PDO 120L-1
Part number 850007-01
External dimensions φ490 × 792mm
Hue Blue Blue Material ultra-high molecular weight PE
Weight 6.2kg
Shipping unit 1 ※ separately will be charged the fare if you are ordering less than display quantity.
Contents 120L
Options sealed UN display 1H2 / X230 / S / YR / J / HK / SANKO
Opening inner diameter 395φmm

Ah you beat me to Google translate...I was just going to post the same thing.

For what its worth I have used an 11 gallon version of a barrel that looks just like that and stopped using it because everything that went through it came out with a plastic taste and it was supposed to be food grade. Could have been the result of something else I guess but thought I would point it out.

Neat. Google translate huh? We'll high molecular PE is "food grade" I wonder about the plastic taste. I know the pH of wort will be much different than tap water but maybe I'll pour some hot water in, let it cool and rest a few days and see if it comes out with a strange taste.

So update since I've brewed twice in the 30 g drum. Turned out great. No funny taste and I'm not growing a third arm...yet. With that being said one is for sale now in the HBT market. 30 gal fermenter.

Back