Is my fermentation stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandallFlag

Reaction score
Is my fermentation stuck or did I screw up?

I tried a 1 gallon brew kit from BrooklynBrew and it smelled and tasted absolutely fantastic. I cooled the wort to 80 deg per instructions and pitched the yeast. I didn't take an O.G. given the small size and the expectation of no trouble. However, it's been over 48 hours and nothing seems to be happening. I know that's not super-uncommon but it is concerning.

I do not use blow-off hoses but generally go strait to a bung and airlock. I checked on it after 24 hours and the airlock was clogged up and full of beer and i had some spillage on the floor. I replaced the airlock with a freshly clean and sanitized one in hopes that all would be well.

Any advice on how to proceed? Does anyone know what the O.G. of the BrooklynBrew Oatmeal Stout should be? Should I re-pitch yeast?

Thanks for any help.

I would need the amount and ingredients to get you a pretty descent guesstimate of your OG. If your airlock though was full of beer, then fermentation did happen and is happening. I would make sure air can escape from your fermentation chamber before a possible bung rocket occurs.

LOL on Bung Rocket.

That's great to hear. I had some leakage on the shelf and the air lock was full of beer/wort. And you are correct, it was completely "gummed" up thus my replacement.

I sent an email to BrooklynBrew about their OG. Your post makes me feel better though. :)

Do you know what ingredients were used and the amount? If so, a computer program such as beer smith would give you a very accurate estimate of what the OG would be, especially if it is an extract brew which it sounds like it is.

The kit was a 1 Gal all grain. You raise a good point. I think I will look at some OGs for Oatmeal Stouts just to get a baseline. Then I'll check out beer smith.

Latest posts

Back