Is my cider ready???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millar06

Reaction score
Hi any help much appreciated, I'm doing my first ever cider it's a ON THE ROCKS MIXED BERRY. It's been 7days fermenting and hydrometer reading is below 1(ready for 2nd fermentation) I've got a pressurised barrel to do this in. So I thought I was all good to go, but when opening the lid of 1st fermentation barrel it's still slightly bubbling seems as if theres still abit of activity??? Is it OK to move onto 2nd fermentation or do I have to wait??? As I've only done wine before and with that fermentation had completely stopped??? HELP!!!

I'm no cider expert, but 7 days seems a little short to me. To be sure that fermentation is done you'll need to make two separate measurements a few days apart and not see any change in the reading.

Thanks I think I may leave it abit longer then, but this is a kit brew so following instructions says fermentation should take 5-7days I've had it at a steady 22'c and followed instruction by the letter... only thing I don't want to happen is the fermentation to stop when I've not gone onto 2nd fermentation added sugar and barrelled it causing it to not have any sparkle??? But as I'm a beginner don't know if this would effect it or not am abit lost with what to do!!

First off - report back on how this one tastes! Just saw these kits and very interested to try one.

I'd let it ferment for a few days more but I seem to remember it saying until hydrometer is at 1.00. When it's steady at the same reading for few days - it's done. Sometimes its the CO2 escaping from the cider and not necessarily fermenting which can cause your airlock to show activity.

Don't worry - you could leave it for a long time (month or more) and still be able to have sparkling cider. The yeast will still be there (which causes the bubbles) waiting for more sugar meal to make it sparkle.

Great thanks for the advice, will let you know how it goes think I'll leave it like you say for a couple more days👍👍

It is possible your cider could ferment below 1.000, so do not be in a hurry is my suggestion. A little extra time on the yeast isn't going to hurt anything; actually it will most likely help.

Back