Is my brewing bucket hosed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkillShaw

Reaction score
I started a batch of extract stout yesterday after bottling my first batch and came in this morning and the thing had started spewing beer on the walls from under the lid in about three different places. The thing that gets me is that I had the same thing happen to me on my first batch and I put a overflow on it and things settled down, I just had to do some heavy cleaning afterwards. My problem is with the stout I kind of expected it so instead of putting the vapor lock in the bucket hole I stuck some hose in it and led it to a pot quarter filled with sanitizer to catch the overflow. Well, it didn't work the hose is clean and the beer is coming out from under the bottom of the lid on the bucket. It is almost like its easier for the pressure to relieve itself from there than to travel down the tube even though I feel like the bucket was pressed closed very firmly. Does anyone have any ideas how I can keep this from happening every time? I am getting pretty tired of cleaning this up and worrying that the beer is gonna be bad.

what type of bucket is it? i'm guessing gasket is on its way out

Thanks for the responses guys, I will say that I am pretty sure that I have the lid on tight enough (after last time I really smashed it down) and I think the seal is good because it is brand new. That being said, I guess my only real option here is to either buy a carboy or use a mallet to get this thing on real tight. Third brews a charm, if it does the same thing during that fermentation I will have to use something else.

August222011
The bucket is a 6.5 and I am filling it to the first ring which should be the five gallon mark from what the brew shop owner told me.
I was thinking about the temperature during the fermentation process as another reason the overflow may be happening. It has been very hot here in fact a record average high temperature for any state in July, ever. It is not to much better now in August and during the day I have the house set to 78 degrees. Could this be causing an over vigorous fermentation?

Yes it could. In fact I think we have found the culprit, just as a finial straw in the hat what yeast did you use? With temps that high your fermentation is going to be so crazy fast that the krausen will just push up. You are not leaving that much head room and you have issues.

For example, I have the 7 or 7.5g plastic bucket, the big one where the 5g mark is a good inch below the first rung on the top and I always fill it to half way above that mark and the bottom rung which for me is 6g. I sometimes get too vigorous a fermentation when I am fermenting above 72 and the air lock gets stopped up which leads to all sorts of problems. Thankfully the lid hasn't lifted off yet, but it has come close to splitting and had a huge bludge in the top that went about half way up to the air lock.

I would do 1 of 3 things, get a bigger bucket, make slightly less than 5g of beer (say 4.5g) on days when you know it will be crazy hot, or ferment in a cooler place. Unfortunately, you can't really make good beer much above 72 unless you are making a Sanson or something that requires quite a lot of esters and even then very specific esters. You don't want your stout tasting like bubblegum for example.

Well it is going to be one of those things mentioned I'm sure, I am leaning to the temperature being to high. I checked the thermometer sticker when I got home today and it is at 77 and the vapor lock is not bubbling at all now, sure hope the brew is still good. Next move, if it has gone bad....brew more beer. Only I think I am going to scour craigslist for an old fridge and rig it up with a temp control. Oh how my wife will rejoice when she finds out I am going to spend more money on my new hobby. I just have to remind her of the fine rewards we will reap and see if that convinces her, doubtful but worth a try. attached (hopefully) is a picture of my en devours. Cheers.

beerske.JPG

Latest posts

Back