Is my beer still fermenting ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octavian

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this, I used 1 muntons beer kit and did not use any any other corn sugar or dextrose,It has now been 2 days and there has never been any bubbles in the air lock, but there was foam that came up left a ring on the inside of the bucket and has now completely disappeared and it seems that nothing is happening. I also forgot to take an initial hydrometer reading, but just took one it was 1.018. Is this normal and is my beer still fermenting?

Probably your bucket lid was not tight enough to force the CO2 through the air lock. Happens quite a bit with buckets. Sounds like it did ferment, doubt it is done in 2 days though. Take another SG reading in a few days. When the gravity stays the same for a few days, that signals the end of primary fermentation.

I slowly press the center of my lid down (so the plastic flexes) to see if i get bubbles in my airlock to assure myself it's sealed.

Use Vodka in your airlock though incase you get suck back.

Also, next time you check, remove the lid and take a deep breath with your head in the bucket. If you feel like you snorted wasabi (or horseradish), it's working. :p But i suggest letting the yeast do it's thing so you don't risk contamination.

Did you use a starter?

thanks for the help guys

I didn't use a starter I just took out a small amount of wort and mixed the yeast in with it and it started to foam up and then i pitched it.

Should I have used dextrose, corn sugar or something besides the one can of malt extract ? I didn't even think about it until after when I saw some videos on youtube and everyone seemed to be doing this.

thanks for the help guys

I didn't use a starter I just took out a small amount of wort and mixed the yeast in with it and it started to foam up and then i pitched it.

That's what a starter is, lol. Everything the yeast touched was cooled, right?

Yeast can't survive if it's put in to anything much hotter than room temperature.

Since you used an extract kit we can get close to figuring out your OG. From there we can tell how much your yeast has fermented and a rough target FG. All we need is the following: recipe ingredients, batch size and yeast type.

Should I have used dextrose, corn sugar or something besides the one can of malt extract ? I didn't even think about it until after when I saw some videos on youtube and everyone seemed to be doing this.

It's not necessary, just will lower your alcohol content if you don't. Most kits suggest it and most people that brew kits suggest against it.

I'm no expert, just passing on what little i know to another novice. :mug:

ah sorry I wasn't sure what a starter was lol

No it was not hotter than room temperature when I pitched the yeast, but it got fairly chilly in the room and I turned on the gas fireplace which made it quite warm in this room but not extremely hot
do you think that could have killed the yeast ?

Yeasties can survive up to about 120-140ish F

I thought it was more around the 100 degree mark, but either way, i was just making sure since he didn't have a thermometer reading for the yeast when started or pitched that i'd inform him it needs to be not much more than room temp.

Also, i hear that 120ish degrees is prime area for rapid bacteria growth and it needs to be cooled quickly below that temp.

It was about 70 degrees ferinheight when I pitched the yeast and although the airlock was not bubbling when i took the top off there was quit a bit of bubbling and foaming so I was not all that concerned.The foaming has stopped and I am worried something happend to kill the yeast or halt the fermentation process.

Your beer is fine but the yeast has not finished it's job. Leave it alone for a couple weeks while the yeast finishes fermenting, cleans up its waste and off flavors, and clears your beer. I leave mine in the primary for at least 4 weeks but as you are probably impatient, try to go at least 2 weeks before you bottle.

Back