Is my beer ruined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raleighwood

Reaction score
I brewed an AG DIPA on Sunday and last night our power went out at 3 a.m. and has yet to come back on. When I woke up at 10 a.m. the carboy temp was 52 deg. Being as im only into primary 3 or 4 days is the beer ruined.

No, but I'd guess the yeast has gone pretty dormant. I'd wrap it in some towels or a comforter. Once you bring it back up to temp, the yeast will pick up where they left off. RDWHAHB

If you can, bring it inside wherever you are living in the house. If you have a fire built, I'd put it near there for a bit to warm it up a bit (or warm the towels/blankets up before wrapping). Hopefully the power comes back on for you!

I was fermenting it inside my apartment and the power has finally come back on. The beer looks dormant, no krausen or anything. It has changed colors to an unusual green tint

It's probably fine. Most likely just looks off colored. As long as you didn't open it, there's no reason it could get infected or "ruined". Once you bring it up to temp and let it sit there a few days report back. If it still hasn't started back, I'd test the gravity and then possibly pitch more yeast.

Sent from my HTC One

Bring it inside... sit down and have a beer... and wait a few days it should pick back up....

if not then i would first use a sanitize spoon to gently rouse the yeast or gently shake the carboy... wait a few days... it that dosent work then pitch more yeast

good luck

No problem at all - your yeast simply had a slumber and will soon wake back up and go to town on your beer.

^ this. You buy yeast out of the fridge, so getting cold isn't going to kill them. Once it warms back up, they should get back to work.

Just to be safe, I would swirl the fermenter a few times as the beer is warming up. Since the yeast have dropped out due to falling temperature, swirling may also help to get them going.

Regarding your off color - it is most likely one of two things:

1. Trick of light/reflection. Anything green behind or near your fermenter?

2. Hops. This IS an IIPA, right? :)

No worries. RDWHAHB.

I have had my fermenter with ale yeast at 55 fahr for a week now, beer samples and gravity are improving and airlock activity is back after a litte rousing. Very slough though. Don`t think you have to worry.

Back