Is My Beer Done Yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GameReaper88

Reaction score
I hate to sound impatient but I have never made beer before in my life!
First batch ever, thanks to Mr. Beer.

Anyways its been 11 days, I do not see any activity.
The Mr. Beer Kit pretty much said if it tastes like beer its ready to be bottled.
It tastes and smells like flat beer...

The beer is not see through like say bud light or other commercial beers... but it is way more see through then when it was first put together.

Is it ready?

I hate to sound impatient but I have never made beer before in my life!
First batch ever, thanks to Mr. Beer.

Anyways its been 11 days, I do not see any activity.
The Mr. Beer Kit pretty much said if it tastes like beer its ready to be bottled.
It tastes and smells like flat beer...

The beer is not see through like say bud light or other commercial beers... but it is way more see through then when it was first put together.

Is it ready?

The only way to really know is to use a hydrometer. If you have a local brew shop you can pick one up with a cylinder for around $20.

Take a reading today and another in 3 days. If they are the same you are done. This is definately a hobby that requires a ton of patience

A hydrometer is the most invaluable tool in brewing. For me, it helps ease the impatience that is inevitable when it comes to brewing beer. Its never a "what if" situation because I always know where I am at in terms of fermentation. :)

If it's a Mr. Beer kit and it's been in the fermenter 11 days you're most likely fine to bottle now. If you get a hydrometer the ready to bottle reading will probably be between 1008-1010 but of course it depends on what you're brewing and all that. If the krausen foam has subsided on the top and the yeast has mostly dispersed into tiny scattered droplets on the top then go for it and bottle. Of course you can always wait to the 2 week mark to be extra safe if you want.

Rev.

My first mr Beer brew only got down to about 1.014 I think. It was the american blonde ale

The hydrometer tells you how much sugar is in your beer... your wort is basically sugar and water... the yeast eat the sugar and when they've eaten enough (65 to 80%) you know your beer is done fermenting...

Watch this video on yeast attenuation and fermentation for more info...

Can I leave beer in the fermentor too long?
I am kind of a busy person, I have 12 hour days monday through friday, and my beer is in for 14 days come this wednesday and I might not be able to take care of it til saturday.

and I might not be able to take care of it til saturday.

That's only 17 days, perfectly fine to bottle then. Some people leave beer in the primary for well over a month, some for several months though I can't personally comment on those lengths as I'm a noob. But yeah, bottle Saturday then, you should be fine I don't see why not.

Rev.

It will be better beer if you leave it until next Saturday. It might be better yet if you leave it a week longer than that. It sure won't hurt it to wait for this weekend anyway.

Can I leave beer in the fermentor too long?
I am kind of a busy person, I have 12 hour days monday through friday, and my beer is in for 14 days come this wednesday and I might not be able to take care of it til saturday.

Leave it as long as you can handle waiting :) The longer the better. The only issue with bottling early, is if its not COMPLETELY done fermenting, you can get "bottle bombs"!! And just because it doesn't LOOK like its doing anything, doesn't mean its not.

I'd probably wait until 3-4 weeks if I didn't have a hydrometer, just to be safe, otherwise grab one and take a reading today, then in a few days take another reading. If the gravity hasn't moved in those few days, you can be confident that fermentation is done, and you are ready to bottle.

Back