Is it too late to strain my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersey_Brew_Novice

Reaction score
I am a bit of a noob and fear I have made a major mistake. I brewed a batch of beer (from extract w/ grain bag and hop pellets) and realized too late that I did not have a strainer at my disposal when sanitizing my equipment. Because I did not have anything that I could substitute as a strainer when it came time to pour my wort into my fermentation tank, I poured the whole mix in (including the left over grain bits). Is it too late to do any filtering at all? Can I filter as I turn over the beer for the first time? If I do will it oxygenate my brew, and thus, spoil the final product?

I am may be running out of time as fermentation will cease shortly and if I have made a time sensitive error that can be corrected I would like to do so asap. Thanks in advance!

How much trub do you have settled. As long as you actuaully removed the grain bag you will be fine. no need to filter at all. Once fermentation is done and you are racking to secondary just take care not to transfer the trub. Your beer will most likely be fine. I do pM and Extract w/grain and I have never had to strain anything. I just rack off the trub and into the secondary.

Dont strain now. You will aerate your beer.

I dont think you need to strain anything if you used a grain bag. I have been doing extract with hop pellets and never strain anything.

just let your beer ferment for at least 10 days, most of the "extras" will settle out then transfer in to a "secondary" or clearing vessel for 2 weeks all of the unneeded stuff will settle out, your beer will turn out just fine.

just remember to save the last 2 bottles that you fill as "testers" because they may have some trub in them. Use them to test you carbonation !

Leave it in primary for at least 2 weeks, maybe more depending on the style. Siphon to secondary for another 2 weeks or more, again depending on style. If you're careful with the siphoning from primary you'll leave behind most of that stuff and the rest will fall out in secondary.

You definitely don't want to strain it now. You could filter on the way to bottling, but that's an advanced technique and shouldn't be necessary for a little kettle crud and grain husks.

Latest posts

Back