Is it stalled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't want to open it up to check if SG is moving. The only reason I think I may have a stalling beer is because it hasn't been bubbling, like at all. Its in week two so thats not a huge shocker I guess, and I may be comparing it to a double IPA I have sitting next to it.

It's also my first AG batch so I have added anxiety with that, RDWHAHB, I know...

I scaled down this 5 gal recipe to a 3 gal:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/shreddin-red-ipa/

And I pitched a full vial of WLP002, so I couldn't imagine that I underpitched her. Who knows.

Extra Credit:

I have these two meads fermenting currently as well, been in primary for a week or so.

Left, Apple Pie Mead OG: 1.102 (24 brix)

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of cane sugar
1 cup of wildflower honey
1 tbl spoon of apple pie spice
.9 gallons of organic apple juice
1/2 a vial of wlp720 mead yeast

Right, Pineapple Mead OG: 1.090 (21.5 brix)

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of cane sugar
1 cup of wildflower honey
2 cans of crushed pineapples
1 can of pineapple chunks
.9 gallons of organic apple juice
1/2 a vial of wlp720 mead yeast

The pineapple is bubbling like crazy still, about a bubble a second. And the apple pie shows little life. Any ideas as to why? I would have guessed it to be the other way around since there were more fermentable sugars in my apple pie. Pitched the same amount and type of yeast in both. Thanks for putting up with my noobie questions guys haha.

Air lock activity or lack there of is never a sign of fermentation taking place. Only way to be sure if it has stalled or if it is done is to take a sample and measure the SG, wait 2-3 days take another sample, measure its SG, and then compare the two. If they are the same then it is done fermenting; if the reading is much higher than what was expected then it might be stalled. If there is a noticeable difference between the two readings then you will need to wait a bit and check it again.

Yeah I kind of expected that answer I guess. I know I shouldn't judge fermentation on airlock activity its just so damn hard not to lol. I was really trying to do anything I could to not introduce oxygen to her again, but I may have to sack up and do it to make sure.

Latest posts

Back