Is it safe to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefanatic

Reaction score
A little over a week ago I hit FG on a Sam Adams clone. The only issue is there was still krausen on top. I decided to give it more time, but after a week it still has krausen. I really need to bottle this brew because I am in the middle of a move and I don't want to make the drive with my fermenter. If I bottled now, do I risk anything with this beer? It has been fermenting 2 1/2 weeks or a little more. (not by my notes). If I have to transport I will, but I would like to avoid this if possible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What is the current gravity? As long as it has remained the same for a few days and is not unreasonably high, you're good to bottle.

JLem said:
What is the current gravity? As long as it has remained the same for a few days and is not unreasonably high, you're good to bottle.

10. It was definitely done fermenting. I have just never had krausen hang around so long.

ReverendTenHigh said:
did you use fermcap? sometimes i notice that if I use that, the krausen sticks around for longer than usual

Oddly enough, no fermcap. Just kind of weird with the lingering krausen.

Hefanatic said:
10. It was definitely done fermenting. I have just never had krausen hang around so long.

Steady at 1.010 = done. Not sure about the krausen, but you should be fine to bottle.

JLem said:
Steady at 1.010 = done. Not sure about the krausen, but you should be fine to bottle.

Moved it from the basement to bottle and when I opened the lid to rack all of the krausen was gone. Go figure. That little movement was enough to drop it.

If I can confirm I have reached FG, but there is still krausen, I will let it sit longer or gently swirl the Carboy. Swirling it helps the krausen fall & settle out faster.

Back