Is it ready for secondary yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cb4017

Reaction score
I decided to cook up an ingredient kit that's been on the shelf for a few years. It's an American Wheat. I used the yeast pack that was enclosed even though it was about 3 years over the best-by date. It took a bit longer than expected but fermentation started and seemed to run fine. I took no SG readings.

Tomorrow is 2 weeks it's been in the primary. I'm still getting an occasional bubble through the water lock. I'm wondering if I can transfer it to the secondary yet or if I should let it sit longer before doing so.

Thanks!
Cliff

The main reason I asked was because of the 3 years out of date yeast. In the past I used the 1-2-3 rule with good results. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

After doing a little more reading I think I'm just going to leave it alone for another week then stick it in the carboy for a couple of weeks before bottling.

Check the gravity today and then again Sunday evening or Monday. If the gravity is stable go straight to bottling. Longer aging will not help. At that age it will either be good or terrible......

Okay, I have decided to let it sit for another week then go straight to bottle. It will certainly cut down on chances of infection. I figure if I don't like how it turns out I just won't do it again.

Thanks for the replies.

It's been 3 weeks and 3 days since I brewed this batch. I figured it would be bottled by now but I'm still getting occasional bubbles through the water lock. Surely it can't still be fermenting??? Don't want any bottle bombs.

Those bubbles in the air lock could be carbonation escaping not fermentation
That carbonation should be happening in your bottles.

Those bubbles in the air lock could be carbonation escaping not fermentation
That carbonation should be happening in your bottles.

The carbonation is not retained to any significant extent in a non-pressurized fermenter. The amount of retained CO2 in the beer is dictated solely by the temperature of the beer and the atmospheric pressure, (warmest and lowest after completion of fermentation respectively).

This is not an issue.

Did you do this ^^^^^^ ?

Truthfully I did not. I'm a little paranoid about possible exposure to infection. I'm not in a hurry and figured I would just let it sit long enough to ensure no bottle bombs.

Truthfully I did not. I'm a little paranoid about possible exposure to infection. I'm not in a hurry and figured I would just let it sit long enough to ensure no bottle bombs.

Ok...it's your beer so you get to be in charge. :). Lots of folks bottle without taking gravity and don't get bombs....lots of folks check gravity and don't get infections....I wish you success being whichever one of those you prefer. :mug:

Brew on!

Ok...it's your beer so you get to be in charge. :). Lots of folks bottle without taking gravity and don't get bombs....lots of folks check gravity and don't get infections....I wish you success being whichever one of those you prefer. :mug:

Brew on!

Lol! Thanks! The reason for my uncertainty is I used old yeast (3 years past date) and I'm not sure how it would/should act.

Lol! Thanks! The reason for my uncertainty is I used old yeast (3 years past date) and I'm not sure how it would/should act.

Aah...I get it...I'm assuming that you're aware that the fact you didn't take an OG reading does not mean that a FG reading would be useless...right? The reason folks encourage you to take a FG hydro reading is to assure yourself that you will not have bombs. It's probably not crazy to suggest this may even be a little more of a priority given your old yeast but since you observed active fermentation you will "probably" be fine. Taking a gravity reading now and finding it at 1.015ish or lower would remove all doubt.

I would also politely suggest that at some point you are going to find that you want to know your OG and FG as it is useful for knowing various things about your process....doesn't sound like you're at that point now so enjoy he excitement. :fro:

Brew on!

I just took a FG reading. Looks to be 1.018ish. Beer looks good. No infection. Trying to decide if I'm going to bottle or re-seal and wait another day or so.

I agree I should start taking OG/FG readings. I'm considering add a tap to my fermenting bucket to make drawing a sample easy.

I just took a FG reading. Looks to be 1.018ish. Beer looks good. No infection. Trying to decide if I'm going to bottle or re-seal and wait another day or so.

I agree I should start taking OG/FG readings. I'm considering add a tap to my fermenting bucket to make drawing a sample easy.

I've heard of others that have done that. I've seen some folks suggest that the spicket is not really designed to keep bugs out of your beer so you may want to search around for posts about it and decide for yourself if it's a good idea...

Opinions are like a$$holes......everybody's got one. :mug:

Back