Is it possible to cut Shanks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
I am looking at finishing my keezer, I ordered a keg kits from Keg Connection and never really had a plan when I placed my order.

I built the base of my keezer the other day and opted not to go with a collar, and to either build a box on top or a DIY PVC tower.

So my problem is I have 5 inch shanks coming and that is going to be too long for a PVC tower. Is it possible to cut these? Or am I limited to building a box on top?

My Keezer can fit 4 kegs, but I only have 2 coming, so I was planning on building a T tower so I would be able add 2 more later if needed.

I don't really have the time to order new shanks, so if I can't cut them, I will build a box on top.

I dont know man, it would have to be pretty good cut and very smooth since your tailpiece will have to make a seal on it.

If you have a bandsaw you could probably get away with this... If you try it by hand be ready to get a workout filing for the next week.

You will still probably need to do some cleanup on the threads. Any chance you have a stainless nut or die that large?

Just make sure you have a good jig or something to run them through cleanly.

They were cut when they made them:)

Just a matter of the right tools and probably a wet sanding/polish to finish. You'd not want to do it by hand cause it'd to be basically flat. But there is a rubber gasket that should seal some imperfection.

I would cut them at their maximum length to get the most cold transfer on the shank with the band saw then finish the end on the lathe, no biggie. To use the parting tool on the lathe is more trouble with chattering than just the band saw. JMO.

Want to trade them for some 2 3/4" shanks? I had to get longer shanks when I built my new kegger and there's space for two more taps.

Are they chrome or stainless shanks? The chrome would probably flake off after cutting. I'd be afraid of that getting into my lines.

I had a similar problem last week. Since I was building a soda kegerator for the garage I did not care what it looks like. I put a piece of 1" pvc pipe into the side of 3" abs pipe and this gave the extra length to hold the longer shanks. It would look pretty good if I was to bother to paint it someday. After looking at the shanks & a hacksaw/file job the pvc extension won!

if you have access to a metal lathe, that would be the best way. a machine shop probably wouldn't charge much to cut them down since there is very little setup time involved.

I had a similar problem last week. Since I was building a soda kegerator for the garage I did not care what it looks like. I put a piece of 1" pvc pipe into the side of 3" abs pipe and this gave the extra length to hold the longer shanks. It would look pretty good if I was to bother to paint it someday. After looking at the shanks & a hacksaw/file job the pvc extension won!

That sounds interesting. Now I have another option to consider.

Most shanks I've seen are plated. Cutting them would ruin the protection that the plating provides. You'd likely have flaking and corrosion issues.

why not just order the correct shanks?
1331CTS-TowerShank-B1.jpg

B

This would be the best option, But he is in Canadia and doesn't want to wait forever for replacements if he doesn't have to.
THe plating comment is good point to consider.

Yeah, I think I have a plan working out in my head now. I will post plans when I get them done. I have been looking through the Show Your Kegerator Thread and I have gotten some ideas.

Back