Is it OK to mix SS and aluminum camlocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I have an aluminum kettle and purchased aluminum camlocks (since they're 1. cheaper and 2. the same metal as the kettle).

I'm now going to build a boil steam condenser and am getting ready to order the parts for that (all stainless steel, since that's all they're available in).

My question is: I already have aluminum camlocks but since I'm ordering parts for the boil steam condenser, I wanted to order some more camlock fittings. The place I'm ordering the parts for the condenser doesn't have aluminum camlock fittings. So, I'd have to get stainless. I'm trying to save money and want to order from just one place to save on shipping.

Can I use one side of an aluminum camlock and the other side stainless? Will they fit together OK if they are both 1/2" fittings? Since the time they will be connected is short, there won't be any metallic reactions between them, will there?

Or, should I avoid this and make sure to stay with all Aluminum camlock fittings?

Thanks.

I called Pro-Flow Dynamics and asked. The rep said no problem connecting the camlocks together either way male/female or female/male. Just don't use threads to screw the aluminum and stainless steel together. And, the sizes are standard - so the fittings will connect together no matter the material they're made out of.

I also got the "they say not to use aluminum for brewing beer" answer - which I promptly ignored.

Back