is it ok to ferment in priming container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just wondering for the secondary fermentation would it be ok to finish in the priming container then bottle it straight from the secondary fermentation, or should i go get another container for the secondary fermentation, and do the priming in another container?

I'm pretty new to all this myself but I believe you should get a 5 gallon Glass Carboy for your secondary fermenter, wait and then prime the beer in the bottling bucket.
At least that's what I've been doing. I transferred my wort out of the primary fermenter on Tuesday into the glass carboy and I'm waiting about ten days and then I'll transfer it again to the bottling bucket where I'll add corn sugar for priming in the bottles. Hope this helps

if you want to do secondary fermentation a glass carboy is your best way to go. You could also transfer to bottling bucket for awhile, quickly sanitize your primary fermenter and then transfer back.

Redplastic2p3t said:
just wondering for the secondary fermentation would it be ok to finish in the priming container then bottle it straight from the secondary fermentation, or should i go get another container for the secondary fermentation, and do the priming in another container?

you need to get it of the sediment in the bottom of the primary. it will give off flavors. i have always used a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. some people do only single stage fermentation and go straight to the bottle for conditioning after fermentation is complete. be sure you take a gravity reading if you do single stage. you could have busted bottles and a sticky mess!

cheers!

While it is preferable to use glass for your secondary, plastic will work fine, especially if you do not leave the beer in the secondary very long.

i appreciate it, ill try and get a glass carboy for that, but cant afford it for now, ill try the one step fermentation for now, then ill choke up and get the glass, thanks for your help!

Back