is it infected? version 9654654.11

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluestang50

Reaction score
IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Another posters recent photos made me a little concerned. Is this just a lot of yeast or does it look infected? This was built up in my fermenting bucket about two inches thick. I was originally thinking it was the "foam" from a strong fermentation, but when I transferred it into the carboy it returned within a few hours. It is now only about a centimeter thick. What are yalls opinions?

PS

This is a brewers best IPA kit that is part extract and part grain. I also dry hopped into the carboy after i transferred the wort. I used starsan for the first time to sanitize everything and used about 1 oz for 5 gallons of water. My last batch I used c brite and everything turned out great.

at what point (meaning what numerical day in the life of this beer) did you transfer the beer from primary to secondary?

Looks fine to me, that's looks just like krausen. Seems that your fermentation wasn't completely done before you transferred and by transferring you stirred up the yeast and started the fermentation going strong again.

What happened is you transferred the beer to a secondary (most of us don't use one anymore) before the beer was fully fermented out in the primary. Of course the krauesen returned because the yeast is still actively fermenting the sugars in your beer.

and this is what I was thinking too... this transferring to secondary thing has GOT to stop...

but to the OP, either way I'm sure you'll be fine, but you may want to look into revvy's and others posts about NOT using a secondary, which would have eliminated this (non) problem for you. Makes life easier and turns out better beer.

Thanks for all of the quick replies everyone. I transferred it only 6 days in and i knew there was a little bit of fermentation left. The OG was 1.062 and it was down to 1.020 with the FG supposed to be around 1.017. I am glad it is good because it smells great! It is now 11 days into fermentation and I plan to leave it for at least another 10 days.

Thanks for all of the quick replies everyone. I transferred it only 6 days in and i knew there was a little bit of fermentation left. The OG was 1.062 and it was down to 1.020 with the FG supposed to be around 1.017. I am glad it is good because it smells great!

Yeah, that's what happens if you rack too soon. You interrupt fermentation and often the yeast has to start over.

What was the gravity when you transferred it?
Does it smell off?
How does it taste?

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a vigorous ferment to me. You're probably fine but take the gravity and smell it and taste it. if the gravity is high and it doesn't smell or taste off, then you're probably fine.

INFECTED!!!!!!

i have the proper disposal technique listed below:

1) wait 3 weeks
2) place infected beer in small, individual 12 oz. bottles, cap them (very important!!)
3) store at room temp for 3 more weeks
4) chill for at least 2 days
5) pour infected beer into proper disposal glass container
6) dispose of by pouring into mouth and swallow.

If you choose to, invite friends and family to help dispose of infected beer!!!!

YOU ARE JUST FINE!!!! RDWHAHB!!!!!

I completely agree with Hockey Hunter, except I like to mix 3-4 oz of dextrose to the batch before placing into bottles.

What was the gravity when you transferred it?
Does it smell off?
How does it taste?

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like a vigorous ferment to me. You're probably fine but take the gravity and smell it and taste it. if the gravity is high and it doesn't smell or taste off, then you're probably fine.

If you read everything that was posted all of your questions were answered

Back