Is It Infected?!? (I Know... Another One)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is an IPA I did a few weeks ago. I use starsan for everything, the wort/beer has been held at 60-65 deg the entire time. It smells ok, just not as hoppy as I expected ( I have not tasted yet). It looked normal for a while, but fermentation was taking forever - at about ten days in, I swirled the carboy around to stir up the yeast, but the airlock was on the entire time. The krausen was slow to drop out and when it did, what you see in the pictures stayed behind. It's been this way for about a week with no change. Is it just because I swirled it?

I was about to repitch a new batch on the cake, but now I'm not so sure. I don't want to infect a new batch. Any thoughts/suggestions?!?

Thanks.

IMG_0897.JPG

IMG_08961.JPG

IMG_08951.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

are you still seeing airlock activity? that could be normal fermentation bubbles. i would bottle, carb, and age it a few weeks and see how it tastes. don't reuse the yeast just to be safe.

or just follow Revvy's advice (he knows more than me).

How many weeks ago is a few? If it's two, then wait one more and take a gravity reading. If it's seven, then what is the gravity reading? Looks fine to me by the way.

I think it's fine. It's been in there three weeks so far and I'm about to transfer to a secondary and dry hop for two more. I just needed some reassurance...

Back