Is it good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
Thinking about buying all the beers from the new belgium lips of faith series. Are they any good?

They are sours mostly and they are ok if you like sours. Some are pretty strange.

I picked up a bottle of the Grand Cru last weekend and thought it was pretty good.

of the ones i've tried: la terroir was good (might not be avail. anymore though), abbey grand cru was decent, didn't care for the super cru too much (tasted like fat tire on steroids), vriendinen (however it was spelled) was weird, sahti was OK (not a huge juniper fan though), the dunkelweiss is pretty solid, kick was pretty good, but not sour enough for me, more tartness from the cranberries and i couldn't taste pumpkin at all.

New Belgium's beers tend to be love-em or hate-em. Personally, I don't like most of their beers that I've tasted. I like sours, but not their sours. They tend to push a specific flavor note out to the limit of human tolerance and strike me as badly unbalanced.

Some people like that.

I liked La Folie and Sahti. Other than that I feel like most of their beers are a little meh.

I was excited when they started distributing to Maryland because I'd heard such great things. I've had a few and they aren't bad but they aren't particularly spectacular either.

Fat tire is a good go to beer. Sun shine wheat is awesome with the nice fruit loop after taste. 1554 great for an end of the day wind down the day. Ranger is a new favorite with dinner filling of hops. La folie great sour comparible to a rodenbach.
Maybe it's because they were my first brewery tour or the fact that they have cool bikes that I'm so partial.

I tried La Folie and I enjoyed it. I prefer 'tart' beers like a Flanders Red to full-on sours like a Geuze, and La Folie was pretty much was I was looking for.

Back