Is it done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
So while brewing at a friends last Sunday, I broke my hydrometer (dropped it on the floor...smooth move). I've been unable to make it to my LHBS (which isn't so local--45 minutes away) and didn't think one from online would come in time. I need to bottle a stout tomorrow that's been fermenting since December 29 so I can use that carboy to rack my friends beer (a Hoegaarden clone) on Sunday. My question: do you think it's done? I know that when I racked the beer on January 2 and took a reading, it was 1.026. The target gravity for the recipe was 1.017-1.018. My O.G. was a little higher than the recipe. So, it's been sitting fermenting in the secondary for 25 days, is it ready to bottle?

yea, i'd bottle it if it was me. if it's an imperial stout, then i'd let it ride a bit longer. another month or so.

Could you use a floating thermometer as a hydrometer? Check it in another homebrew- let it go flat first. Then compare float level in degrees between the 2 brews? It won't be exact, but could compare between the two.

But then 3 weeks in secondary shoulda done it....

Back