is it always better to add sugar a day or 2 later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
Last time I brewed up a recipe with sugar the recipe stated to add the sugar 2 days later. I posted here to ask if that was really necessary, so now I know why it was done for that recipe.

Now I am brewing a different beer that also calls for a sizeable sugar addition, but it didn't specify whether or not to add the sugar late. Should I just assume so?

Also, does 2 days later mean 2 days from pitch or 2 days from the start of fermentation?

The recipe is as follows
0.45 kg Lyle's Golden Syrup
4.35 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK
0.54 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
45.00 gm Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min)
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min)
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min)
0.10 kg Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)

Personally I add all my sugar additions in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I don't usually add sugar to recipes post boil or in the fermenter.

I've done it both ways with success. The theory is that if you add a large sugar addition early, the yeast will selectively choose to ferment the simple sugars first, and the fermentation may stall out early leaving the more complex sugars behind.

Ive made several batches with small sugar additions and always added to the boil. Of those with larger additions - I made a big IIPA, 9%, and added a good amount of dextrose to the boil. Also made a huge Belgian quad, 12%+, to which I added one lb of candy syrup to the boil and then a second lb to the fermenter a few days later. Both finished right where I wanted them to be. I think as long as you have a good healthy load of yeast to start with, and your yeast are taken care of (proper nutrient, ample oxygenation, steady temperature control), you should be fine either way. Looking at your recipe, I would probably just go ahead and add it to the boil and be done with it.

I think if you pitch plenty of healthy yeast, it doubt make much difference.

With an under pitch, I think step feeding the sugar may be a good idea.

I hate making yeast starters, so with any recipe where I add sugar, adding it after fermentation is underway saves me from making a starter. No opinion as to the relative quality of adding in boil or later.

Back