Is Guinness the most overrated beer...ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this thread quickly identifies who are beer enthusiasts, and who are beer snobs. Hint - one of those labels is NOT a compliment.

Also, kudos to VTDuffman for pointing out the obvious - ND football beats up on the directional schools, I suppose, but the last time I checked, those schools don't have rabid football fanbases. If you can't even guarantee wins against the service acadamies anymore, you don't have much room to brag.

Finally, War Eagle.

ND = Schaeffers beer

You know after perusing this more heavily I am surprised at the Guinness detractors.

If I am at a bar, and they have all IPA's I am thankful for a Guinness. Once again, not my favorite, but a good staple to the style.

Hell, I love Weatherby, but its hard to argue with a good old fashioned Winchester or marlin lever.

Friggin war eagles, every time I hear that all I can think of is three missed field goals.

Well....is it?

I had this question come to me from a friend of mine...while drinking a chocolate porter of my own and I really believe there is some validity to the statement. What do you think?

I think you and your friend are becoming beer snobs.

And you should stop it. Immediately.

If I am at a bar, and they have all IPA's I am thankful for a Guinness. Once again, not my favorite, but a good staple to the style.

I have no problems with Guinness. It's fine for what it is, it's not really for me, but I'm not really a stout guy in general. I don't begrudge anyone for drinking it because I don't begrudge anyone for drinking anything, people should drink what makes them happy whether that's Hurricane Malt Liquor, or a triple-decocted Helles Bock made from angel tears and dry hopped with gnome beard trimmings.

That said, in the even that the OP wasn't jsut out and out trolling, I think I may know what he's getting out - there's a type of person out there, who is, I don't even know what to call it - maybe the "Militant Guinness Drinker?" It's like a sub-set of Beer Snobs, but (to me) weirder and with even less foundation. Like, they actively look down on people who drink Miller Lite and such, because they Drink "Real Beer." But they don't actually drink anything else but Guinness...which is kind of like the "Miller Lite of Stouts." I personally don't begrudge it for being that, and I don't care if people drink it - I drink it sometimes, but it's a relatively dry, relatively light, relatively accessible, sessionable stout. Which is fine, but also silly to me to then develop this attitude about how you are a "Real Beer Drinker."

Maybe it's just me, but I know *a lot* of people like that, and I don't care, I just think it's a little silly. I think the "Militant Guinness Drinker" vastly overrates exactly what they are consuming...but you can really say that about anyone with Brand Loyalty and personal preference, I guess...

Guinness tastes to me like re-gurgitated charcoal and milk carbonated with nitrogen for those FINE little bubbles.

If you all like it, fine. why would I care?

Just don't call me a snob just because I think guinness is terrible.

Over rated, and over priced. Paid 17.00 USD for one pint in Dubae United Arab Emirates. Had been 5 months without a beer and that was all they had for a dark beer. Never ever again, thats for sure...
WCB

j1laskey said:
With more and more small breweries popping up everyday, it is only a matter of time until brewers like Stone, or Founders are considered overrated. Just ask Jim Koch

Yep, think back a couple months ago to an online rant by Sam Calagione...

Rbeckett said:
Over rated, and over priced. Paid 17.00 USD for one pint in Dubae United Arab Emirates. Had been 5 months without a beer and that was all they had for a dark beer. Never ever again, thats for sure...
WCB

You got ripped off. I bet that can sat in the heat for a LONG time, ruining it for whomever drank it.

ND football beats up on the directional schools, I suppose, but the last time I checked, those schools don't have rabid football fanbases. If you can't even guarantee wins against the service acadamies anymore, you don't have much room to brag.

Finally, War Eagle.

I was nodding my head in agreement... until I realized you're an Auburn fan!

Go Ducks!

(But as the now-shamed Cliff Harris said "It was just a battle, you know. I hope y'all enjoyed the show we put on for you guys.")

Nope. It's like a glass of milk. There might be more exciting drinks but it's good anytime. It's a staple beer.

this pretty much sums it up
now, my pecking order of dry irish stouts is beamish, murphys, and THEN guinness, but a lot of times guinness is a lifesafer at less craft beer-friendly establishments

Guinness draught is watery crap IMO. Guinness Extra Stout is pretty decent though.

Just wanted to mention that I found a bottle of Trader Joe's Black Hart Dry Irish Stout in my fridge I had forgotten about and enjoyed the hell out of it yesterday. Think I paid less than 6 bucks for the 6 pack too.

Most all of those other dry Irish Stouts listed I have never heard of, let alone seen. I guess I could say that it's overrated because sometimes I get sick of hearing how OLD the brewery is, and also sometimes it seems as though they are almost trying to convince you that Guinness has some magical properties.

Then again, since it's one of the few foreign beers to make it on a national level in the US, and especially since it's a stout, that makes it the defacto stout for a LOT of BMC beer drinkers.

I like it, but I'll always choose to buy the Extra because I prefer that to the draught. Guinness is way down my list of favorite stouts, but only because I'd rather not drink the Dry Irish style.

It's the milky creamy nitrogen that I think renders it more or less charcoal milk. Does Nitrogen reduce flavor generally?

Most all of those other dry Irish Stouts listed I have never heard of, let alone seen. I guess I could say that it's overrated because sometimes I get sick of hearing how OLD the brewery is, and also sometimes it seems as though they are almost trying to convince you that Guinness has some magical properties.

Then again, since it's one of the few foreign beers to make it on a national level in the US, and especially since it's a stout, that makes it the defacto stout for a LOT of BMC beer drinkers.

I like it, but I'll always choose to buy the Extra because I prefer that to the draught. Guinness is way down my list of favorite stouts, but only because I'd rather not drink the Dry Irish style.

Wow we ARE evil twins. I prefer the extra too...

I have consumed literally gallons upon gallons of the stuff and I will say that it is not overrated. I don't think it should be knocking other stouts out of business, but just because it enjoys commercial success and a had arguably the best publicity campaign of any beverage other than Coca-Cola doesnt make it any less delicious.

Plus, none of those other stouts have made a mark on the cuisine and bar culture of countries including but not limited to our own, Jamaica, and Pakistan. You are as likely to see a Jamaican with a bottle of Extra Stout as you are a bottle of Red Stripe. Thats pretty powerful.

Revvy, have to agree about the book, some interesting stuff about the Guinness family, very charitable and great for Ireland. Most interesting fact, that was actually a question in my last weeks pub trivia: Arthur Guinness signed the original deed for the St. James Gate brewery site for 9000 years! In 10700 A.D. they will still be making Guinness stout.

Revvy, have to agree about the book, some interesting stuff about the Guinness family, very charitable and great for Ireland. Most interesting fact, that was actually a question in my last weeks pub trivia: Arthur Guinness signed the original deed for the St. James Gate brewery site for 9000 years! In 10700 A.D. they will still be making Guinness stout.

Imagine how overrated it will be in 10700. :p

Mercer beat Notre Dame yesterday, 5-4.

And I've probably had more Guinness than anything else (as best available 1969-1990). I'm a fan.

Guinness was the beer that kept me from always having to drink Bud and Miller Light, and for that I will always be grateful. It also was the first beer I realized I could drink 2 pitchers of and still find my way home... and for that I will always have a special place in my heart and soul.

I agree that Guinness have saved me from drinking yellow H2O2 in many a neighborhood bar or pizza place. They go down nice and easy. There are many beers I would choose over any stout. But it's a old standby.
My Goodness, My Guinness!

I'm going to New Haven,CT for pizza in a few days. Which place? Well, let's look at the beer options. Sally's has Miller lite, Frank Pepe's has Genesee Cream Ale. In a pinch, I'll take the cream ale. Oh, and the pizza looks good too.

Cider123 said:
I agree that Guinness have saved me from drinking yellow H2O2 in many a neighborhood bar or pizza place.

If you're going to places with hydrogen peroxide on tap, you're hanging out in the wrong bars.

Latest posts

Back