Is fermenting in shipping containers okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassygrandma

Reaction score
I am curious about space and would like to know if I can do my fermenting in 20ft shipping containers or even just barrel aging within those shipping containers. They do not have air conditioning and are just straight unmodified containers. I could make accommodations on the shipping containers for the mead, but before I end up wasting time, is it possible to just store it in them.

I wouldn't ferment anything where the fermenters are just sitting in that type of container. They'll get very COLD in the winter and HOT in the summer. I also wouldn't barrel age in the container either. If you've seen the structures distilleries use for holding the barrels, they're not steel boxes without any climate control.

If you're going to put a fermentation chamber into the container for use, that might be OK. Again, summer temperatures are going to get HOT. It very well could kill what you'll be using for the cooling aspect of the chamber.

I'd use the container to hold gear that you need to reclaim the space from. Keep your fermentations, and finished product, under good storage conditions/temperatures.

How much (volume) are you going to ferment at a time?

Most homebrewers use their cellar, a cool room or closet, or externally temperature controlled fridges and freezers for fermentation chambers.
For example, I can get two 6.5 gallon Ale Pails, side by side, inside an upright freezer I bought used for $100. With space left above for shorter fermenters. An external temp controller keeps it within 2-3°F inside.

Back