Is FermCap-S Sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlandsailor

Reaction score
Sorry for the duplication, this is posted in the Ingredients forum as well.

I know there are a lot of fans of Fermcap here. I used some for the first time in a test batch of beer for a class I am teaching and it did wonders in the boil, however, in the fermenter, there was still quite a bit of blow off. I'm trying to eliminate any chance of blow off if possible. Evidently the stuff settles out pretty quickly and may not have made it into the primary.

My question is, is this stuff sanitary enough to add directly to the primary?

I have no idea, but I have added it to primary fermenters with complete success. Maybe because it's such a small amount, it doesn't have to be ENTIRELY sanitary? Or maybe nothing can grow in a dimethicone laced soup?

I've added it to the primary, and you'd have to use a whole lot to "eliminate any chance of blow off". 17 drops plus temp control wasn't enough in my last batch, and that's 50% over the recommended amount.

I just brewed about 5 gallons of barleywine (about 10%) in a 5 gallon better bottle. I say almost 5 because I measured the BBs 5 gallon line, I am a little below that mark. There is definitely headspace in a 5 gallon BB. Anyways, I added a few drops during boiling at 12 drops after I pitched my yeast (500mL fresh slurry from a previous batch Wyeast 1056). I used the NB BB blowoff tubing jig (stopper drilled to fit some vinyl tube). While there was lots of great krausen, it NEVER made it out of the better bottle! Ive had other lower grav beers come out of the tube and into the water bubbler, making a mess of it. The fermcap definitely worked for me!

According to the makes it is food safe. They recommend using it in the boil and in primary... then again, I'm sure they'd recommend using on your cereal just to sell it...

Latest posts

Back