Is dis nice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz69

Reaction score
Guess what came today ?

Attachments

• 15098EF7-A3BE-447E-B2B7-1BB873D211FF.jpeg
    15098EF7-A3BE-447E-B2B7-1BB873D211FF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Though I did not listen to the advice on my beginner equipment questions. I bought a starter kit from Morebeer ! Awesome cust service ! Then I bought a scratch and dent freezer for temp control. Then I bought 4 cornys (on sale for $40 ea). I then found a kegerator on marketplace for $150 (came with a co2 tank, regulator, 2 faucet tower - one of which is a Perlic. Found a guy that gave us like 7 cases of empty bottles for free :). Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)

Though I did not listen to the advice on my beginner equipment questions. I bought a starter kit from Morebeer ! Awesome cust service ! Then I bought a scratch and dent freezer for temp control. Then I bought 4 cornys (on sale for $40 ea). I then found a kegerator on marketplace for $150 (came with a co2 tank, regulator, 2 faucet tower - one of which is a Perlic. Found a guy that gave us like 7 cases of empty bottles for free :). Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)

I'd suggest skipping the glass carboys.

I was thinking of getting them for long secondary aging ? Free up my fermenters to keep batches rolling ? No good ?

If you're using carboys as secondary fermenters only to free up primary fermenters, just get another vessel for primary fermentation to switch back and forth if you're cranking out a lot of brews. There are few times you really need a secondary fermenter anyway.

I used to be a big fan of glass carboys, used them for years. Luckily, I never broke one and I still have all my appendages, which is probably due as much to luck as to diligence. Those big glass jugs demand respect. The only thing I use glass carboys for now is the rare time I need to bulk-age a big beer for many months. (Glass is impervious to O2 ingress.) And I keep the carboy in a plastic milk crate.

“However, you can read all of that tomorrow while your beer is fermenting. Let’s get started !”

I stayed away from carboys after reading too many horror stories. I acknowledge that some have never had any issue but it seems like too much of a when, not if.

I’ll also not admit to not completely reading through How To Brew cover to cover. I read to 24, then skimmed the rest. I def refer back to various sections quite often tho.

I stayed away from carboys after reading too many horror stories. I acknowledge that some have never had any issue but it seems like too much of a when, not if.

I’ll also not admit to not completely reading through How To Brew cover to cover. I read to 24, then skimmed the rest. I def refer back to various sections quite often tho.

Mine's always been more of a reference. If I would have a question about something, I'd look it up, then mark the crap out of the salient points with a highlighter.

Put a bookmark on the priming sugar chart if you bottle condition. :mug:

Guess what came today ?
Great place to start, how many chapters did you read in the last 24 hours?
I use these online calculators. Have them bookmarked. Just too easy.
Thanks, those are bookmarked.

I used to be a big fan of glass carboys, used them for years. Luckily, I never broke one and I still have all my appendages, which is probably due as much to luck as to diligence. Those big glass jugs demand respect. The only thing I use glass carboys for now is the rare time I need to bulk-age a big beer for many months. (Glass is impervious to O2 ingress.) And I keep the carboy in a plastic milk crate.
LOL I "fought" my mother in law a few years ago for 2 carboys that we had, so now I feel obligated to use them for fermentation. Fortunately they come with a wood crate around them.

Dis book is def methodical ! So much info - I can see it being used as a reference and I’ll prolly be digging back in all the time :). Tons of info in here !

Brewing beer is … well … science ! Chemistry ! Mathematical calculations !!

anyone interested in some brewing equipment ?

lol. J/k - lot of stuff in this book that is not necessary for a new brewer to read - will be useful later.

... Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)
Yes, good deals are addicting. I would get those carboys. Like you said, they are great for bulk aging. A must if you make must :)

Jammin through the chapters. Up to Lagers. John is an awesome dude !

Back