Is being an extract brewer such a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with extract brewing if you are happy with the beer it produces that's what matters. I never was so I switched to all grain biab brewing which also has it's detractors but I am happy with the beer It produce and again that's what matters.

Having done several partial mash beers,I'd say the hardest thing to get a handle on is a steady mash temp every time. The size of the mash (water & grain volume) is important to this as relates to the mash tun size to hold the heat in & steady for the 1 hour mash. I learned this with my first stout this time. 4.5lb mash with the right amount of water needs a smaller mash tun that 5-6 pounds of grains with 2 gallons of water. The right size kettle or whatever you mash in has a big impact on how much temp loss there is,or how much temp it holds or gains. If I mash 5-6 pounds of grains in 2 gallons of water in my 5 gallon BK/MT,it generally gains a degree of temp in 1 hour.
But 4.5 pounds in 1.5 gallons of water went from 155F down to 142F in that hour. Less volume,less heat that gets held. Lesson learned there.

If it will fit, I'd recommend putting your mash pot in the oven on its lowest setting. It will keep the temperature much better. If you want to do a step mash you can even use the oven to raise the temperature.

Back