Is anyone making hand sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalePete

Reaction score
I saw that some local breweries/distilleries are making hand sanitizer due to shortages.

I have a 1/2bbl brew system and a 1/2bbl still. I work in healthcare and our nurses are basically running out. My boss is already at the point of buying from extreme price gougers. Thinking about taking a crack at this myself, to provide our 85 home health nurses with sanitizer refills.

Is anyone doing something like this already? If so please tell me your ingredients and process or any info so that I don't re-invent the wheel. Thanks!

Sadly even if you could replicate a patented hand sanitizer there is always the legal slime that wants to sue if you use something not FDA approved or equipped with O&E insurance policy. "Just as in Real Estate" any one who touched the deal is in court from inspector to Title even if it was a construction item 50 years back.

Head over to Home Distillers forum and look up sugar washes. DADY (distillers yeast) is cheap. Sugar is cheap. You will need some DAP (diammonium phosphate), a general yeast nutrient, yeast hulls, calcium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate to keep pH up during ferment. There are other wash recipes that use common items for nutrients and pH buffers (like tomato paste). For making alcohol with no intent to drink, you could push the yeast to 18% (10% to 14% for drinking). Reflux still? Load the 18% without stripping and reflux to 95%. Pot still? 2 passes will get you ~80%

Head over to Home Distillers forum and look up sugar washes. DADY (distillers yeast) is cheap. Sugar is cheap. You will need some DAP (diammonium phosphate), a general yeast nutrient, yeast hulls, calcium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate to keep pH up during ferment. There are other wash recipes that use common items for nutrients and pH buffers (like tomato paste). For making alcohol with no intent to drink, you could push the yeast to 18% (10% to 14% for drinking). Reflux still? Load the 18% without stripping and reflux to 95%. Pot still? 2 passes will get you ~80%

No need to to brew it. The W.H.O. website has some recipes for sanitizers that exceed the alcohol content of commercial formulations like Purell (93% alchohol vs 60~70% for most domestic products). I made one using Everclear (alcohol unavailable at ANY pharmacy, damn hoarders) which actually makes a more effective sanitizer, and is outlined on the W.H.O. web page:

93% isopropyl or ethanol, min. 91% alc. content (some isopropyl is only 70%)

4% hydrogen peroxide

3% glycerol (glycerin) as humectant

I also added 5-6 drops of lavender oil for scent, which does not impact the efficacy of the sanitizer. Very effective, pleasant aroma ( especially with Everclear) and keeps your skin from drying and cracking.

All this said, plain old handwashing to expose the lipid-coated viruses and prevent them from replicating is the most effective preventative. Once stripped of its fat cover the virus doesn't replicate. No replication, no epidemic. And of course there's social distancing to prevent either your own exposure to virus vectors, or you yourself becoming a vector.

Brooo Brother

upload_2020-3-27_10-52-16.png

I mixed up Everclear grain (75% alc) and aloe vera gel. You need to do a 5:1 ratio with that everclear to make it strong enough to be effective. For example, combine the following and use an immersion blender to homogenize:
  • 5 cups Everclear 151 (if you distill, this might be a good use for heads/tails, but not really sure there)
  • 1 cup anything else, like aloe vera gel. You can use less than 1 cup, but not more!
  • few drops of essential oil (I have a ton of these, ended up with lemongrass as the favorite)
  • a drop of food coloring to make it perty

At that ratio, it's fairly thin. Squirts right out of bottle. I experimented with glycerine (glycerol), but I found that to be a little sticker than the aloe gel. It was nearly the same really.

To thicken it up (to a gel) I experimented with thickeners that I had here at home already. I tried gelatin, methocel (methylcellulose), sodium alginate, etc. This did thicken it up somewhat, but left a residue on the hands that made them unusable. I ended up just going with the aloe.

If you want to do it right, you need to get Carbomer 940 powder (amazon). Heat the glycerine until warm in microwave, add small amount of powder, stir to disolve, add to alcohol. You will probably need to add a small amount of lye (drops) or other base to raise the pH to 7, which is where the carbomer will create the gel. If you look at the label of hand sanitizers, you'll probably see triethanolamine - I think that's what they use for pH adjustment.

upload_2020-3-27_11-17-9.png

upload_2020-3-27_11-21-45.png

CDC says that 60% ABV is good enough for any sanitizer. And as to the question about the "danger " of methanol, I don't know that methanol kills viruses as effectively as ethanol and while the toxicity of methanol is well documented the fear that people have of it smacks more of a panic unsupported by science similar to the panics that were part of the government's "public service" surrounding marijuana in the 30's and 40's (Reefer Madness 1936)

Thanks for all the info everyone. Will update if I go into production, it won't happen this week. Corporate is sending us some but they won't say how much, will have to re-evaluate the shortage each week.

... the toxicity of methanol is well documented the fear that people have of it smacks more of a panic unsupported by science similar to the panics that were part of the government's "public service" surrounding marijuana in the 30's and 40's...

The fear of methanol is not a panic response. Drinking it IS a panic response, as evidenced by this story which is in multiple news sources today.

Last edited:
I'm distilling high proof alcohol that I have given to our local emergency services to use as hand sanitizer.

O.K., now I see. Good work for a good cause.

The W.H.O. website recipe was good because the alternative of use ethanol abundantly produced in many less industrialized countries. The lack of isopropyl alcohol here in the 'States is mostly attributable to hoarding by individuals, and suppliers wanting to maintain stockpiles for hospitals if things continue to get worse. The higher alcohol content of Everclear (ethanol 190 proof) allows for the production of higher alcohol (93%) sanitizers, or dilution down to the CDC minimum recommended 60% alcohol content. Hand washing is still preferred over sanitizers, though that's not always convenient or possible.

Also, someone mentioned aloe as a humectant. It is an excellent substitute for glycerol, or in combination with. I just couldn't find any, once again due to hoarders. Aloe also contains it's own antiseptic properties.

Best of luck in your efforts to aid emergency services providers.

Brooo Brother

I saw that some local breweries/distilleries are making hand sanitizer due to shortages.

I have a 1/2bbl brew system and a 1/2bbl still. I work in healthcare and our nurses are basically running out. My boss is already at the point of buying from extreme price gougers. Thinking about taking a crack at this myself, to provide our 85 home health nurses with sanitizer refills.

Is anyone doing something like this already? If so please tell me your ingredients and process or any info so that I don't re-invent the wheel. Thanks!
Here is your recipe for hand sanitize
Isopropyl

91% alcohol = 182 proof

to make 3 oz 90 ml use

Alcohol 2.14 oz 64.29 ml

Aloe .86 oz

If using Ethanol 85% 170 proof alcohol

3 oz 90 mil

Alcohol 2.29 oz 67.29 ml

Aloe .86 oz 25.71 ml

Any hand cream will work

Here is the formula all you need is 60% for sanitizing. So this is the math Take your actual ABV and divide it buy your desired ABV multiply by the amount of quarts or liters you have to work with you the answer will give you how much diluting material you need to put into your solution Example
ACTUAL ABV DIVIDED BY DESIRED ABV MULTIPLIED BY THE VOLUME MINUS THE VOLUME IS EQUAL TO THE AMOUNT OF WATER THAT MUST BE ADDED.

EX ACTUAL ABV 96.5 % DESIRED 50% VOLUME 1 L OR 1000 ML.

96.5 / 50 X 1000ML -1000ML =

96.5/50 = 1.93

1.93 * 1000 = 1930

1930 – 1000 = 930 ML OF WATER MUST BE ADDED

Last edited:
hi
i am looking for some recommendations on yeast for making ethanol for hand sanitizer. I want to make ethanol with water and sugar + distilling and a water separator filter to reach at least 96%. I want to use it to make hand sanitizer according to the world health organization recipe
I am having trouble finding yeast in large quantities at a reasonable price other than bread yeast and also not all bread yeast are the same.
What yeast do you guys recommend to make the highest abv in the shortest amount of time that is readily available in good quantities at a good price? flavour does not matter, nobody will be drinking this stuff

hi
i am looking for some recommendations on yeast for making ethanol for hand sanitizer. I want to make ethanol with water and sugar + distilling and a water separator filter to reach at least 96%. I want to use it to make hand sanitizer according to the world health organization recipe
I am having trouble finding yeast in large quantities at a reasonable price other than bread yeast and also not all bread yeast are the same.
What yeast do you guys recommend to make the highest abv in the shortest amount of time that is readily available in good quantities at a good price? flavour does not matter, nobody will be drinking this stuff
Look up Turbo Yeast.

hi

Distiller's yeast. See link. $10 of yeast will make 250 gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Star-980...words=turbo+yeast+brick&qid=1586617844&sr=8-3

Back