Is a 6 gallon carboy sufficient for 6 gallon batches of wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone I just got a beer making kit from Northern brewer, and I was wondering if the 6 gallon carboy is sufficient for me to make 6 gallon batches of wine if I decide to do so later. Or do I need to get something bigger. Hope this isn't too dumb a question. But I thought better to ask before I either spend unnecessary money or make a huge mess.

Thanks
Greg

Yes, it's big enough for a wine kit. You'll need two vessels, as you rack after about a week, but both can be 6 gallon carboys.

Some of the "nicer" kits have oak chips and wine skins and things in them, so my preference is for a bucket for primary to make it easier to get those back out of the fermenter after a week, and use the 6 gallon carboy for secondary.

A 8 gallon brew bucket is the first fermenting vessel that you need.

You can do it in a 6 gallon carboy if you are very careful, start with 5 gallons and slowly add the rest in a few weeks time to keep it from foaming over.

A brew bucket is much easier.

Back