is 1.014 ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
I brewed a smash, might have mashed on the high side, 158. I have the notes but I'm too tired to get them out. It was just 9 lbs of 2-row. I've fermented at 65 for 2 weeks then 70 for almost 2 weeks, with 1056. OG was about 1.050. I figured it would ferment to 1.012 ar least, maybe 1.010. It is 1.014, has been for two days. Tastes good, but FG seems high.

An thoughts why?

Because you mashed at 158. That's why.

You would be down to 1.008 or lower if you mashed at 150 or 152

Low temp produces dryer beer that has a more fermentable wort. Higher temp produces a sweeter more malty beer with more unfermentable sugars.

Cool, I know about mash temp/fermentable sugar conversion, don't know on a gravity scale by numbers what the impact can be. It isn't very dry, so that is consistent too, but again I don't know what 1.014 or a mash temp of 158 tastes like.

1.014 isn't likely to be unfermented, right?

bzwyatt said:
Cool, I know about mash temp/fermentable sugar conversion, don't know on a gravity scale by numbers what the impact can be. It isn't very dry, so that is consistent too, but again I don't know what 1.014 or a mash temp of 158 tastes like. 1.014 isn't likely to be unfermented, right?

I think your beer fermented out fully.

FGs are like a game for me. I like to always get them down below 1.010 the higher the OG and the closer to 1.010 the happier i am. That being said low FG is by no means a prerequisite for good beer.

bzwyatt said:
Cool, I know about mash temp/fermentable sugar conversion, don't know on a gravity scale by numbers what the impact can be.

The effect isn't as big as people make it out to be. Yeast selection, fermentation profile, and grain bill are all bigger factors in how much the yeast will attenuate. Mash temp obviously has an effect but it isn't the only factor.

Back