Irish Red Ale recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyb15

Reaction score
Look okay? I was thinking i might use lager yeast on half the batch.

IrishRedAle - Irish Red Ale (9D)
================================================================================
Batch Size 11.000 gal
Boil Size 12.250 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.055 sg
FG 1.016 sg
ABV 5.3%
Bitterness 17.3 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 17.1 srm (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 20.000 lb Yes No 78% 3.0 srm
Munich Malt Grain 4.000 lb Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 12.000 oz No No 72% 120.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 12.000 oz No No 74% 40.0 srm
Roasted Barley Grain 10.000 oz No No 55% 300.0 srm
Total grain: 26.125 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Kent Goldings 5.5% 2.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 17.3

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP004 - Irish Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.37 tbsp Primary

Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 20.000 lb Yes No 78% 3.0 srm
Munich Malt Grain 4.000 lb Yes No 80% 9.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 12.000 oz No No 72% 120.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 12.000 oz No No 74% 40.0 srm
Roasted Barley Grain 10.000 oz No No 55% 300.0 srm
Total grain: 26.125 lb

I haven't calculated your percentages out, but the roasted barley seems really high for a red ale. You probably want to stick at 1 to 1.5% of total grist.

EDIT: I guess you're at about 2.4% of grist. I think it'll look more like a brown and drink with some noticeable roast.

One method to add color but not flavor is to add some roasted or chocolate malt when you sparge - toss it in after mashout and stir, then sparge like normal.

Is the Munich to give it more malt flavor than the pale malt alone? You do need that, unless you use Maris Otter.

You are pretty high on the roasted barley. I think 6-8 should get you there for color, especially with the 40L and 120L you have. I use Special B and Crystal 10, and it is red. I often wish there was more roasted barley flavor, though. I like that kind of bitterness more than hop bitterness.

And I think the White Labs Irish yeast does give it something different. I've done it with US-05, and it's fine, but kind of like a "regular beer" that's a darker color.

You recipe has too much caramel malt IMO. I am pretty partial to my recipe. I like mine dry and roasty. Check out my link to Riona Red. Shameless plug, I know.

K, ill drop it down a bit, thanks!
If it helps, here's a photo showing a recent brown ale I made with 3% roasted barley. It's nearly black and you can just about see through it if you hold it to the light.

IMG-42a55992e3328f8eebbea49b49e7ca42-V.jpg

This looks close to the first red ale I made going to give it a second try in a couple weeks I was at 7.8% crystal and I plan on cutting that way back I also used around 6 oz of roasted barley and I think it was fine

This thread has inspired me to brew my own red/amber ale this coming weekend. The OP's recipe is similar to one I've been kicking around for a few weeks now, so I thought I might as well tag on here. Knowing how dark my UK roasted barley comes out at 3% of grist, I think i'm going to try something along these lines:

84% 2 Row
7.5% C40
2.5% C120
5% Flaked barley
1% Roasted barley

I might bump the roasted barley up to 1.25%, but no more as I can see it getting into brown ale territory.

I really like how it turned out. Added it to the recipe database a couple weeks ago:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/fast-amber-ragin-red.650601/

I modified the ingredients though.

Cool thanks for sharing. I went with what i had above although i had to drop the 40l because they put a full pound of 120 in with my munich before i told them to keep everything separate lol. Brew day went well, color is close to what i was going for. (Glass is full of a commercial red, hydrometer is mine.) See how it turns out, thanks everyone for the help.
20180608_194541_resized.jpg

Back