Irish Moss Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elweydoloco

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question have you ever noticed your Irish moss floating in the top of a wheat beer?

I swear to God what looked like my Irish moss was floating on top of my blue moon clone I just added to the secondary to cold crash (though that's kinda pointless with a wheat).

Anyway just wondering it's not that big a deal as it's a wheat it's going to be cloudy regardless and I always use a filter when transferring from primary to secondary to bottling bucket.

If so does anyone know the science behind why with wheat and not with malts?

Maybe Yooper or someone will know.

I've never seen it. It doesn't take long to boil into very small specks. Plus, the whole point is to use it to sink the other stuff down and rack off of it.

Could be hops?

I can categorically say that I have never had Irish Moss floating on top of a wheat beer.

I know this because I've never had a wheat beer.

-a.

I can categorically say that I've never seen Irish Moss floating on top of a wheat beer.

I know this because I've never used Irish Moss in a wheat beer.

cheers ajf

Meh the hell with it!

Thanks everyone. I'm starting to think this was just somehing weird it just really didn't look like yeast or anything and I have no idea what else it could have been.

I'm not trying to be rude but that was a terribly written post lol

So did you or did you not use Irish Moss? If you did, when did you add it? If not, I assume you are trying to say "Something floating in my beer looks like Irish Moss. What could it be?"

You seem to know wheat beers aren't supposed to be clear so then why use Irish Moss.

I have used Irish Moss plenty of times. The point of Irish Moss is to clear the beer. I would find it a little ironic if Irish Moss was used and was found floating in the beer.

Am I the only one really confused with this post? lol

Back